Microphone Recommendation for Drum Recording (One Mic Technique)

adam79

I wanna record some demos and I'm looking for some suggestions on a microphone to use for recording drums, using a one mic technique. I've read that a Shure SM-1 works well for this, but they can be kind of pricey. Right now my mic locker consists of a Sm57 and two MCA SPL1's. I'd like to get the mod for the MCA mics, but this too is expensive, atleast for my budget. I'm guessing that my limited budget won't really allow me to get anything worth while. It's too bad that the Jim Williams mod is no longer available. I'd know that the parts are available to perform the mod yourself, but I'm not sure that I trust myself. Especially since I don't have a MCA to practice on.

I have 4 micpres to work with simultaneously. but once again, my locker and budget is lacking.

Thanks,
-Adam

I've been using QTC-1's as primary kit mics, the last session (don't do 'full bands day in and day out) I wanted to try out an idea with fig-8's, FWIW had real nice results with the CAD M179's. They're pretty damn versatile, sound nice on a bunch things, and dirt cheap.

IF you have 4 mic preamps, why are you looking at only using 1 mic to record drums? Is your recording space treated acoustically - does the drum kit sound good in it?

IF you have 4 mic preamps, why are you looking at only using 1 mic to record drums? Is your recording space treated acoustically - does the drum kit sound good in it?

Just incase I want to do a live recording of the band. The room isn't acoustically treated. It's a rectangular shaped rehearsal space w/ dry wall. I know that treating a spot properly can be quite pricey. Is there a cheap-o method that helps without breaking the bank? Some kind of make shift baffle technique?
In regards to a 2 or 3 mic setup, I read a great article talking about measuring all the mics being used with a string (from the snare drums)...to help with phase issues. For single mic rec, I've heard good things about the Shure SM81 and Beyer M260. The M260 was the mic used for the "When The Levee Breaks," right? Not that I'm expecting to get that sound by just using the same mic. Just interested.

Thanks,
Adam

I believe the M260 was used. ribbons can be pretty awesome for getting a good balance of the kit with a limited number of mics. The cascade fathead makes a great room mic/overhead and its cheap.

Just incase I want to do a live recording of the band. The room isn't acoustically treated. It's a rectangular shaped rehearsal space w/ dry wall. I know that treating a spot properly can be quite pricey. Is there a cheap-o method that helps without breaking the bank? Some kind of make shift baffle technique?
In regards to a 2 or 3 mic setup, I read a great article talking about measuring all the mics being used with a string (from the snare drums)...to help with phase issues. For single mic rec, I've heard good things about the Shure SM81 and Beyer M260. The M260 was the mic used for the "When The Levee Breaks," right? Not that I'm expecting to get that sound by just using the same mic. Just interested.

Thanks,
Adam

You can make your own bass traps and corner superchunks. There's plenty of info and links the 'Studio Building section of this forum. If you can use a saw, screwgun and staplegun, you can make your own traps easily.

Thanks,
Adam

wrong...it was the beyer m160, not m260, but almost.

How long ago was that (the purchase)? A thing of beauty...one day I'd like to get my hands on a pair of those and have the time of my life recording.

about 1-2 years ago, it's been a workhorse mic, the new ones are exactly the same just black and with xlr connectors instead, I need an tutchel>xlr adaptor to get mine working, you'll really enjoy them for overheads.

Back