Microphone positions for acoustic guitar ......HELP.

MS16

I have 2 recording sources. One is an old Fostex VF80 digital recorder. The other is a Steinberg UR22 interface used with the Audacity recorder on my computer. I prefer the UR22 because it's easy to use, noise free and produces a good sound.

However I have a problem with the UR22 regarding my acoustic guitar tone. I fingerpick softly and love the tone I get from close micing, but on the UR22 the recording booms too much on the bass strings ...... whereas on the Fostex recorder with exactly the same mic, leads and mic positions there is no booming bass tone whatsoever.

When I place the mic a long way away when I use the UR22 obviously the booming tone goes away .... but that warm close mic sound that I love also goes away. Even though I get a perfect close mic'd sound with the Fostex, I'd still much rather use the UR22 (if only I could get rid of the guitar close micing problem).

I don't like the distant mic sound and would like to find a way to close mic my guitar on the UR22 without getting that booming bass tone. It's rather strange that on one machine I can very successfully and easily close mic, but not on the other machine.

I use one Studio projects B1 mic for vocals, and another B1 for guitar. I've also tried using small condenser mics for the guitar, but I still get that boom from the bass strings on my recordings with the UR22. I like to put the mic about 6 inches from the guitar, and no matter where I point the mic the problem remains on the UR22, but is non existent on the Fostex recorder..

So, does anyone know of any micing techniques that allow close micing with my UR22, yet eliminate the booming tone from the deep bass strings of my guitar?

Thanks.

It doesn't make sense that the mic would all of a sudden develop low frequency problems by moving to another similar preamp on another interface.

Are you sure that you didn't accidentally adjust the low cut on the mic when you switched interfaces? Specs say that it has -6 dB per octave at either 75 or 150 Hz. That'd be my first experiment, trying both of those low cut options and seeing how the low end sounds.

Are you trying to mic the sound hole or something? Most of the time that's just going to result in a boomy sound. Start with the mic about where the neck meets the body. Find a comfortable distance for the mic. If it's too boomy, angle the mic towards the headstock. If it's too thin, angle it towards the bridge.

I have 2 recording sources. One is an old Fostex VF80 digital recorder. The other is a Steinberg UR22 interface used with the Audacity recorder on my computer. I prefer the UR22 because it's easy to use, noise free and produces a good sound.

However I have a problem with the UR22 regarding my acoustic guitar tone. I fingerpick softly and love the tone I get from close micing, but on the UR22 the recording booms too much on the bass strings ...... whereas on the Fostex recorder with exactly the same mic, leads and mic positions there is no booming bass tone whatsoever.

When I place the mic a long way away when I use the UR22 obviously the booming tone goes away .... but that warm close mic sound that I love also goes away. Even though I get a perfect close mic'd sound with the Fostex, I'd still much rather use the UR22 (if only I could get rid of the guitar close micing problem).

I don't like the distant mic sound and would like to find a way to close mic my guitar on the UR22 without getting that booming bass tone. It's rather strange that on one machine I can very successfully and easily close mic, but not on the other machine.

I use one Studio projects B1 mic for vocals, and another B1 for guitar. I've also tried using small condenser mics for the guitar, but I still get that boom from the bass strings on my recordings with the UR22. I like to put the mic about 6 inches from the guitar, and no matter where I point the mic the problem remains on the UR22, but is non existent on the Fostex recorder..

So, does anyone know of any micing techniques that allow close micing with my UR22, yet eliminate the booming tone from the deep bass strings of my guitar?

Thanks.

Try setting up a 2nd mic across the face of the guitar, so that the capsule is pointed in a direction toward but perpendicular to the sound coming out of the hole..

Last edited:
Try setting up a 2nd mic across the face of the guitar, so that the capsule is pointed in a direction toward but perpendicular to the sound coming out of the hole..

Hey Fatty Fatty Fatty ...... thank you, thank you, thank you. You solved the problem. I have tried every mic position possible "except" the one you suggested. It 100% solved the problem. You're a genius. WHOOPEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Fatty Fatty Fatty ...... thank you, thank you, thank you. You solved the problem. I have tried every mic position possible "except" the one you suggested. It 100% solved the problem. You're a genius. WHOOPEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

No probs, glad it worked for you. ;)

Back