microphone placement for piano

Elle

The good news is that after my computer started on fire, Aardvark admitted it was a faulty Direct Pro card and reinbursed me for a Dell technician to replace the motherboard. The better news is that the Guitar Center offtered whatever card I wanted at cost. So after three months of pussy footin around, I'm up and running.

Now if someone could suggest a good mike and where I should put it to record an acoustic piano I'd be all set!

I have a shure 58, and I noticed a big difference when I move it around. I'd like to know how the pros do it! :)

Thanks everyone

the pros dont use a 58 for piano.

But if your interested, Ill tell you how I would do it..

IDEALLY, Id have a grand piano in a big, nice sounding room. and Id blend the following 4 signals.

1) a piano transducer.
2) 2 small condensors in a stereo array situated about 10" above the strings pointed at a 45deg angle toward the floor beneath middle C.
3) A large diaphram room mic.

That way Id have all the touch sounds to play with, as well as a stereo image and natural reverb.

LESS THAN IDEALLY...Id have an upright in my living room, and Id use those 2 small condensors in a stereo array about 6" above the top of hte piano (OPENED!).. pointed at a 45deg angle halfway between middle C and the OPPOSITE end of the box.

IN A PINCH.. id try out a few placements of my 58 and pick the one I liked the best.

xoxo

Thanks Camn,

I'm in the LESS THAN IDEALLY situation. What make of condenser microphones would you suggest? I have the boom mike stand. I need to buy another one of those too!

Back