Microphone picking up the music from the headphones while recording HELP!!!!

Big Lee

Help Please Anyone Help!!!!

OK this is kind of difficult to explain:

When I'm recording vocals with a instrumental track... I can hear the instrumental playing when I'm trying to edit just the vocal track because the microphone is picking up the sound from the headphones.

Does anyone know any tricks to stop the ?????

I have tried to stand as far away as possible from the mic and it still picks up the sound form the headphones. I also tried turning down the headphones while recording but that is hard to do because you can not hear the music to be on the proper key and note.

Help Please Anyone Help!!!!

OK this is kind of difficult to explain:

When I'm recording vocals with a instrumental track... I can hear the instrumental playing when I'm trying to edit just the vocal track because the microphone is picking up the sound from the headphones.

Does anyone know any tricks to stop the ?????

I have tried to stand as far away as possible from the mic and it still picks up the sound form the headphones. I also tried turning down the headphones while recording but that is hard to do because you can not hear the music to be on the proper key and note.

I'm assuming you are using fully enclosed headphones, right?

What mic are you using? Maybe pull the gain back a bit?

Not alot of info to work with here, but you are probably hearing a very small amount of spillage...it just seems more prominent because you are soloing the vocal track when editing.

I'm using MXL V63M Studio Condenser Microphone and yes the headphones are closed back AKG don't know the model. I'm going through a USB mixer Alesis 8 MultiMix using Adobe Audition.

2 points here:

1) If your using open back headphones, this will be the problem. Use closed back headphones, and if its still bad with them use in-ear buds (even crappy cheap ones, just so you know where you are).

2) Unless the headphones are open-back and being run at full volume off an amp, it shouldn't come through on the recording enough to hear it. It should be close enough in phase and quiet enough to make no difference to the recording - unless its a click track in a quiet bit wit just vocals, in which case you have it turned up too loud.

Is it really that bad like TeyshaBlue said. That's a normal thing in the recording process.

You can try using a gate and setting your threshold to around the point where the music is coming in.

But more than likely it will disappear when all the other tracks are playing, so it won't be audible in the mix.

If its really a problem for you, lower the volume on the headphones and try to get used to performing to a lower track

Is it really that bad like TeyshaBlue said. That's a normal thing in the recording process.

You can try using a gate and setting your threshold to around the point where the music is coming in.

But more than likely it will disappear when all the other tracks are playing, so it won't be audible in the mix.

If its really a problem for you, lower the volume on the headphones and try to get used to performing to a lower track

That's where I was trying to go before this board's server took another dump:mad:
Anyway, unless you are running 30000 tracks, each with alot of leakage, it's just not going to be an issue when it's folded into the mix.

It's becoming an issue when I want to add echos and other effects on a track.

Also if I'm dubbing some vocal tracks I can start to hear some distortion. Not alot but it's definitely noticeable.

It's becoming an issue when I want to add echos and other effects on a track.

Also if I'm dubbing some vocal tracks I can start to hear some distortion. Not alot but it's definitely noticeable.
Turn down the volume on the headphones and don't track so hot.

I used to have problems with headphone bleed -- I'd run my headphones pretty loud while tracking drums, and the overhead mics would pick up the sound of the click track bleeding out of the headphones.

The solution I found is 100% effective: I'm using in-ear monitors now instead of full-sized headphones.

My favorites are the Etymotic ER-6, but I've found that Shure's models, e.g. the SE-110, are easier to put in and take out. The Shure headphones don't sound as good as the Etymotics when I'm listening to music, but for a click track the fidelity is irrelevant.

The key to both these mics is that they seal themselves in the ear canal. This means you can listen to the click (or other tracks) at moderate levels because the ambient sound of the instruments in the room is attenuated by 20dB or more (for the Etymotic ER-6). It also means that the click, or backing track or whatever you're monitoring will NOT bleed into your mics.

For the sake of comparison, most active noise-cancelling headphones provide only 10-12dB of isolation.

have you tried editing out the "noise" in between the vocal passages?

that's what I normally do..... sure it's a bunch of work, but it sounds clean
and I can add whatever I want to it. no worries about bleed from the cans
or any other noises in the room.

Back