microphone for ORTF

sathyan

I want to do very simple stereo direct to disk recordings (no close miking, no mixing, no processing) with an ORTF configuration. As I understand it you need two microphones which are as similar as possible but I have no two of any microphone I need to pickup another one. I have: Shure SM57 [Dynamic], Studio Projects B1 [LDC], MXL 990 [LDC], and MXL 991 [SDC]. I would like to just buy another of one of these to get the stereo pair; which would be best for this application?

Instruments which may appear in the room:
strings: acoustic violin, electric violin, acoustic viola, acoustic cello, electric guitar & amp, acoustic guitar, mandolin, dobro, classical guitar, sitar, acoustic piano
wind: trumpet, trombone, euphonium

room is 10x13 ft

thanks
sathyan

I understand the two MXLs use the same capsule, so that might be your cheapest bet.

Also, if you are in a 10x13 room, you ARE close-micing everything ;).

Trash the 990 and 991 and maybe pick up another B1 for cheap. The B1's can be harsh but not nearly as grainy/harsh as the 990/991. I've got a 990 and the first time i plugged it up and tested it on a few things, I seriously never wanted to hear it again. ever.

Well, If you want a second of something you already have, go with a second B1. The 57 won't do you much good in this application, because they are only good for close micing things. And the MXLs you mentioned just aren't going to get a very defined sound. Something like a pair of AKG C1000s or Rode NT5s might do you better for something like this, but I do realize that may be out of your price range.

I haven't heard the MXL990 or 991, but it is hard for me to imagine any mic sounding worse than the C1000.:eek: I wouldn't pay even $50 for one.

Really, the SP B1 is a really nice room mic. If you can't afford a pair of KM184's or C451's, a pair of Samson CO2's ain't bad either if you prefer a SDC.

I bought two pairs of CO2's for €100 the pair and these come pretty close to the good old vintage C451/CK1.

OTOH I'm very happy with the B1's as an ORTF pair for room mics. I do have a big room and put the pair in front of the drumkit, but aimed at the opposite wall, talking about big sound.

(please don't tell anybody)

Is this question adressed to me? Okay, I will answer anyway: IMHO ORTF sounds much more realistic in a way of true stereo than XY for example.

Just out of interest why do you want to use an ORTF pair?

Have you tried it?

It's personal taste and/or what works best for the room/performer(s), but near-coincident set-ups like ORTF have become my personal favorite. I love M/S, but it's not as realistic, IMO. That little bit of time delay between the mics makes a huge difference to my ears anyway. X-Y is way too narrow for me.

Just bought a pair of Beyer MC930's. Looking forward to hearing them in ORTF.

:)

Last edited:
Have you tried it?

I've tried pretty much every stereo technique there is. I was just wondering why it had to be ORTF.

X-Y is way to narrow for me.

Maybe a bit narrower, but the imaging is unparalleled.

I'd prefer a nice sounding room with a pair of spaced omnis (obviously it depends on the source) because omnis usually sound better. Hey we can't have everything!

Sathyan - are all those instruments playing together? Seems like a very small room for all that and thus the imaging wouldn't be great because you can't get the mics far enough away. In this situation I would use an XY pair; but obviously I'm talking hypothetically. If the ORTF sounds good; use it!

It just so happens that I've done a number of ORTF sessions for percussion ensembles, simultaneously including SP-B1 and MXL 990 and 991 pairs. Th B1 and 991 both give really good results and (I know that you don't need this confusion) the signals augment each other very well if you're into blending mics. The 991 has a brighter response; the B1 has a more present bass response (note that this implies that I think that both mics have their own coloration). Compared to the B1 and the 991, the 990 response is poor---after a few sessions I found it to be useless as an ORTF mic and have never again bothered to hook the 990 pair up, even as a blend mic (I even gave one away to a friend who likes it on his voice).

If I HAD TO CHOOSE, I'd say the B1 because I think it's a more versatile mic than the 991---but I don't feel bad about owning a pair of 991s.

Decisions, decisions . . .

Good luck,
Paj
8^)

Back