microphone feedback elimination

zook250

hi. i havent seen a catagory that this would fit into so i figured it is a problem that involves mic's. so here it goes.

when we play live i am constantly fighting feedback issues from our monitor system. running the board and playing at the same time is a bit of a hassel, so i am looking for a way to get the monitor mix problem out of the way (or as close to it) before we start our first set.

i have a dual 31 band eq for the monitors and a pink noise generator.

could someone please let me know step by step, the process for ringing out the monitor system.

i am going to be experimenting with this myself, but i would like to hear your methods so that i dont inadvertantly damage anything in my system.

i have been playing out for years and the sound man has always taken care of the system and i have never botherd to find out how to do this properly , i am hoping that this revelation will be what i need to do it myself at small gigs with no soundman.

thanks for your help in advance.

TURN THE MONITORS DOWN its too loud on the stage.
The louder it is the louder you have to sing over the monitors.

everyone that i have talked to said to stay away from the auto eliminators. i have heard that some require the feedback to sustain for too long of a period to detect the correct frequencies and set the notch accordingly. thus the potential to damage the speakers, plus i would really like to understand the process rather than have a rack unit do it for me, i would end up in the same boat as relying on a soundman to do it.

The Behri Feedback Destroyer is actually pretty damn effective. We used one during band practice when we were crammed into a closet sized practice space. Without it, it would have been impossible to practice with amplified vox.

i have looked at te behringer feedback eliminator and surprise, i was advised to stay away from it. but its pretty cheap so i might take a crack at it. the guy probably had no experience with it and asumed that behringer = crap,you know the same old same old.

i was hoping to get some practical advise from guys who may be familiar with the problem, so i'll just wait and see before i buy another piece of gear.

thanks so far.

Keep in mind when mixing monitors, you dont want the same mix as the house.
Only put what you need in the monitors. If you dont need the bass don't put it in the monitors. Same for BGV's or anything else.

Less is better.

you bet. i run two monitor mixes
1.) left side includes some of the right side guitar , full vocals. this mix goes to left side guitarist and drummer.

2.) right side mix includes some left side guitar , full vocals.

i dont put through anything else.

i have found a few usefull articles on the net that describe the process pretty good, but none of them use pink noise to accomplish it.

Don't bother with the pink noise, unless you have an RTA. I use the old-school methods, and my crappy Soundtech monitors will get kick-ass loud.

Back