microphone electronics books

Andybot

Hi,
I was wondering if there were any books that got into the details of how mics work the circuitry etc or is there some back door way of finding out more .

The books and the web links ive found so far dont really get into much detail or
there university text and I finished my math degree 18 years ago.

Thx for all the help I have got so far. Its really helped.
A

A few links to microphone design related documents in this thread over at R.A.P.. Be sure and check out the "Microphones" pdf at the Neumann link. That should keep you busy for a while!

For some stoopid reason, I can't get it to link to the beginning of the thread, so be sure and back up to the beginning.

If you're looking for schematics
search for AKG service manuals
CAD provide schematics for some of their mics in the manuals
try searching the patent database

mics etc

Thx for the replies.
Im reading the book neumann right now, for anyone whos had a problem downloaDING IT LATELLY I noticed it had an extra file extension which I had to remove for it to work properly.

Thx

mic etc

Sorry Flatpicker, i meant the fact that I called it " book neumann" and then went into caps lock for a few words. I should have said last post.

Out of curiosity Flatpicker how did you come to know about the workings of
microphones, fell free not to answer if its just to intrusive a question
Thx, A

Hey Flatpicker,

That numann book is excellent, hadn't seen that one before. Also interesting to read the note on cleaning capsules.

Thanks,

PAddy

Andy,

Here are some microphone books in my constant use and reference:

"The Microphone Book", by John Eargle
"Microphone Engineering Handbook", by Gayford
"Electroacoustics", by M Gayford
"Microphones", by Robertson
"Microphones", BBC training manual
"Handbook for Sound Engineers--The New Audio Cyclopedia", editor Ballou
"RCA Microphones", by Olson
"Microphone manual. Design and Application", by Huber
"Audio Engineer's Reference Book", editor Talbot-Smith

Look in your local or University libraries, you might find some of them.

Andybot said:
Out of curiosity Flatpicker how did you come to know about the workings of microphones...
I've worked full time as an electronics tech since 1983 and have been a musician for much longer. I guess both interests just happened to intersect here. I never had books on the subject of microphone design, so I just started reading everything I could find on the web and taking things apart to reverse-engineer them and try modifications. After a while I finally began to get the hang of how this stuff works. Besides that, I’ve learned a ton of stuff from Gus, Marik, and other folks I've met in cyber-space.

Back