Microphone carcass

DaleVO

Poor Farm Productions
I am looking for a good place to get a M-Audio Nova, Rode NT1/1A, or Behringer B2 form-factor microphone body, to build a DIY mic. Any recommendations for a reputable dealer?

Thanks in advance,
Dale

Thanks Blue. That could work. The PCB that I am looking at comes tapered or square, and might just fit. I'll keep an eye out for one.
Dale

Yes PR. I found a Matthew Jenkins U87 DIY that I want to try my hand at building.
Dale

Last edited:
Excellent. I am thinking of gutting one or both of my MXL v67G to do something like that. The Peluso capsules are very tempting, but there are capsules from microphone-parts.com which are about 1/2 the price. Hmmm.

@DaleVO & PRHunt : Is that poctop's? I have the tapered PCB set, I am pretty sure they fit in a MXL 2001 style. I don't know about the SP-1. I'd have to check, and most of my stuff is under tarps right now. If you use the square set, another guy chunger sells these big bodies for thos (SYT-3 I think)

@PRHunt: Does the Peluso work the same way or come the same way with four wires and the "RK-87?"

@DaleVO & PRHunt : Is that poctop's? I have the tapered PCB set, I am pretty sure they fit in a MXL 2001 style. I don't know about the SP-1. I'd have to check, and most of my stuff is under tarps right now. If you use the square set, another guy chunger sells these big bodies for thos (SYT-3 I think)

@PRHunt: Does the Peluso work the same way or come the same way with four wires and the "RK-87?"

Yes, the poctop pcb set is what I was looking at in the tapered version. I'm pretty certain that this will mount correctly on the internal frame in my V67G.

Regarding the Peluso, I haven't looked that far into it yet. I am torn between getting 1 Peluso or a matched pair of RK-87 for under the price of the Peluso...

I imagine that the Peluso would function similarly though. If I am correct, the original U87 was 4-wired.

I've got a few piece of rack gear to build before I launch into a mic project.:o

Paul

@DaleVO & PRHunt : Is that poctop's? I have the tapered PCB set, I am pretty sure they fit in a MXL 2001 style. I don't know about the SP-1. I'd have to check..... If you use the square set, another guy chunger sells these big bodies for thos (SYT-3 I think)

Blue,
Yes, I am looking at the poctop DIY. If you get time to confirm the square PCB-fit in the SP-1 body and let me know, I will put it on my radar. I saw the SYT-5 bodies were sold out on the studio 939 site. However, I will look into the SYT-3 that you mentioned.

PR,
Are you looking to use the Peluso K-87i capsule? Peluso Microphone Capsules. I think I am leaning toward the RK-87, but I am still researching.
Dale

Are you looking to use the Peluso K-87i capsule? Peluso Microphone Capsules. I think I am leaning toward the RK-87, but I am still researching.
Dale

I am undecided. You can get a matched pair of the RK-87 at less than the price of a single Peluso. Haven't so far tracked down any direct comparisons. Like you, still researching. As I mentioned earlier, I've dumped a bit of cash into discrete opamps and transformers for a couple of preamp and compressor projects, so I really need to get those built before I dive into a mic project.

Paul

@DaleVO, I don't have a SP-1, but I have a pair of RuudNL's SP-1 boards. (Word is the new mics have smd components.) I have to dig out the poctop compare the boards (I've had construction going on) but my recollection is the boards are roughly the same size.

(I'm sure you are aware) the SP-1 circuit AFAIK is the same Schoeps clone found on other mics, like the 2006. I have mod thread here.

BTW, I have some extra "OEM" "K47 style" capsules left over from a mini groupbuy if anyone is interested. I also have a few single and dual sided 32mm K67, if you needed for a "proof of concept"

@DaleVO,
BTW, I have some extra "OEM" "K47 style" capsules left over from a mini groupbuy if anyone is interested. I also have a few single and dual sided 32mm K67, if you needed for a "proof of concept"

I have a 990 that I purchased CHEAP intending to Jim Williams' it, with a RK47. The mic works perfectly, but I cannot leave well enough alone after hearing the mod-improvement tests. Send me a PM with your price to provide your K47 a new, loving home.
Dale

PS. Is the K47 34mm? If so, I think I may need a new saddle.

@DaleVO, poctop's tapered boards are exactly the same size as RuudNL's SP-1 boards. The screw holes are about 4mm lower, though. I wouldn't expect that would be a problem.

@DaleVO, poctop's tapered boards are exactly the same size as RuudNL's SP-1 boards. The screw holes are about 4mm lower, though. I wouldn't expect that would be a problem.

Thanks for the useful information. PM replied.

Back