Micing up an 8x10

Spikeh

Not sure why I keep posting these kind of questions on here, as generally the answer is "Try things until you're happy with the sound", but hey... I like this place :)

So, I've got an Ampeg 8x10 bass cabinet / Ampeg SVT4-PRO head... which I shall be using to record with. When I've recorded bass before, it's been with much smaller cabs - 2x10/12, 1x15/18 etc... never thing big.

How would you mic this up? I have the following available:

* 6 x Shure SM57
* 1 x Shure SM58
* SM7
* AKG D112
* Samson Q-Kick
* 2 x AKG C1000S
* 2 x Samson C01 Condensers
* 4 x Samson Q-Tom
* 1 x Samson Q-Snare
* 1 x Rode NT5
* A few other cheapy / old mics

... and not to mention wet / dry / stereo / mono DI outputs on the head.

Bearing in mind that I've only got 6 of the 8 speakers working as I'm waiting for replacements from America (been on order over 6 months now :().

How would you mic this biatch up? :) I was thinking 2 x DIs (Wet and Dry), Q-Kick & D112 somewhere on each set of 4 speakers, and SM57s on the HF Drivers?

I would spend all that time concentrating on getting it right w/ 1 mic. With bass especially, phase cancellation is a real threat to the tone.

Not to mention that many mics and DIs will overcomplicate things.

Just get a good mic signal, and a DI "just in case".

Specifically, I would try the SM7. But it really matters what kind of sound you're after. I like an aggressive in-your face rock the house kind of bass. :D

Also, I would move the 6 good speakers all to one end of the cab. And I would mic a corner speaker towards the center of the cone. I should also mention I am a BIG fan of 1x cabs, usually 1x15. I like to cut out as many phase and time delay cancellations as possible.

Not sure what this topic has to do with "Computer Recording and Soundcards" lol.

Back