micing toms

fuquam

Any recommendations for a good tom mic are greatly appreciated. I just added to my preamps so I have more tracks I can record at once. Traditionally I mic'ed drums snare, bass, 2 overheads but I wanted to split a mic for the toms. I tried using an AT 3030 condenser right between the two but it sounded harsh even with a pad and also thin at times. Plus it picked up too much ride and snare. I only tried it because I had it sitting around. So any ideas?

Sennheiser e604's are pretty cheap and sound great. The more expensive md421 is a standard choice. SM57's also work well.

Dynamics rule on toms.

thanks

I use a 57 on the snare and actually prefer Audix i5 mics over the 57s. The only luck I have with them is close micing and with splitting a mic between two toms I don't think I'd have much luck. I have a sennheiser 421 I use for one guitar cabinet so I might try that and find a different mic for the cab. I'll look into the mics that were suggested. I'm still trying to figure out the best placement for the tom mic that will capture the sound of both toms while cutting out as much of the rest of the kit as possible.
Thanks.

Back