micing the kick?

coolsoundman

i don't know if there is a thread out here about micing a kick. do you guys place a mic at the beater head and one at/or in the kick hole? or do you guys put two mics at the front of the kick, like one in the kick and the other in front of the resonat head? And do you guys phase it out like that of the snare? any suggestions?

i usually just do right in the kick hole but depends on the band and the drum. I test it until it sounds good to me. But the heavier the band the more in the hole it goes, to get more attack.

It's personal preference really. I personally do not like the way it sounds with the mic a few inches from the head. I find I get the type of punch I like, plus the sound of the wood if I have the mic just a couple inches inside the hole in the front head (with a 1 gallon paint can in the middle of the drum). With that combo and the right mic I never need EQ or compression.

Some guys prefer having the mic right up on the beater. Some guys use a kick tunnel and swear by them.

The only time to worry about phase on the kick is if you use two mics pointed at each other. Say, one out on, or in, the front and the other by the beater near impact.

Play around and see what you prefer. I find a mic meant specifically for kick drum really helps things.

Full paint can or empty paint can?

Full. It can be full of paint or sand or whatever, just so that its heavy and doesn't move. I got the tip from Simon Phillips a couple years ago.

(Don't get mad at me for sharing, Simon.)

Full. It can be full of paint or sand or whatever, just so that its heavy and doesn't move. I got the tip from Simon Phillips a couple years ago.

(Don't get mad at me for sharing, Simon.)

A non-drummer (who records drums) is curious--what's the point of the paint can? Vibration control/dampening?

A non-drummer (who records drums) is curious--what's the point of the paint can? Vibration control/dampening?

It brings out the impact, especially with felt beaters. You get a nice "thwack" from the beater. Very punchy! More "recording friendly" as Simon put it.

It works best if you have very little muffling on the heads, maybe a scrap or two just touching, and set the paint can down on a towel right in the middle of the drum.

if you want to try something cool you can use a empty cullugan water jug and put a sm57 or some sort of mic in the jug place the jug right by the drum. this can give you great results. also if your a real nerd you can figure out the resident frequency of the kick and fill the jug with the appropriate amount of water to produce that frequency and put some sort of omni mic in the jug to pick up the notes:p:p:p

Basically you should just mic the out side of the kick, i put a mic in the hole and lessen to it. if i dont like it move it farther out or in depending on the sound you want.

if you cant get the sound you want try the out side of the drum.

if you want to try something cool you can use a empty cullugan water jug and put a sm57 or some sort of mic in the jug place the jug right by the drum. this can give you great results. also if your a real nerd you can figure out the resident frequency of the kick and fill the jug with the appropriate amount of water to produce that frequency and put some sort of omni mic in the jug to pick up the notes:p:p:p

You... have a lot of time on your hands, don't you?:D

it was a joke... sorry had to do it, but it would work if you think about it

Last edited:
We used an SM57 for the inside about 4 inches away from the head pointed right at the beater, an a Beta 52A on the resonant head at the bottom right about 1 inch away. I wanted to get a nice fat sound but also with definition and this approach worked out perfectly.

Be sure to double it, whatever you do.

:D :D :D

I generally put a beta 52 just inside the hole. I've also had decent results with the mic up a couple inches from the beater (inside) and a home made subkick on the reso. It's kind of a season to taste thing.

Back