Micing the Cab, which mic to grab?

bstarstudios

Useless Thoughts
Picking up a new amp friday (jet city Jca20H)
Going to be running it out of an 80s peavey 4x12.

though im going to experiment with mics and such just looking for some general advice.

so far i've read an sm57 off axis pointing toward the center is a good place to start.

I will be using my trusst Es-57 (great sm57 copy). and maybe my mxl v88.

I play a lot of overdriven rock, sort of folk punkish.

This the condenser on the cab will be a good idea?

also do you think its better to mic the top or bottom of the cab (all speakers are the same).

also have a cad kbm412 (bass drum mic) maybe that would be good in conjunction with something else?

Thanks

B

Last edited:
The ol' sm57 is one of the most popular go-to mics for nearly anything. Though very popular, I tend to think it captures too much of that ear-fatigueing fizz. Could be the close micing technique however. I find that turning the amp up real loud and micing it with a condenser about 8" to a foot away captures more of that "crunch". As far as all speakers in a cab being created equal is not the case. You need to listen to which speaker has the most fidelity. Also the bottom speakers of a 4x12 tend to be a bit bassier and the top two more trebley. Also if you raise the cab off the floor (or if it's on wheels) it's gonna reduce the bass a bit. As people have said here before, get the amp sounding good in the room. Set up your mic, and adjust your amp's EQ settings to what the mic is hearing, not what you're hearing.

thanks a lot. i think im going to try using a 57 and my condenser, using it 6-10 inches away. and see which sounds best. ill definitely have to check out which speaker is the winner.

Back