Micing Technique...

JKestle

How would you use a SDC combined with a LDC to mic an acoustic guitar?

The specific mics I'm using are SC-1 & A-51V.

It sounds decent with just the SDC, but how can the LDC add to this.

Thanks in advanced.

Well, a lot will depend on the guitar, the player and the room, but as a starting point aim the SDC at the 12th fret from about a foot away, and try the LDC either over the right shoulder of the guitarist, or aimed at the body of the guitar below the bridge from about the same distance as the SDC.
The advantage of this set-up is that the SDC catches the articulation & detail while the LDC adds 'body'. You may also find that panning them (not hard L&R, but maybe 10 & 2 o'clock) will give you a nice 3-dimentionality.

I do pretty much exactly what DigitMus says - SDC out from the neck (try different orientations - I end up with mine pointing at the neck body join out from 12th fret, so a slight angle) and LDC down below the bridge for that "wood" sound. If your guitar has a pickup record that as well, it can be useful at times, depending upon what sound you're after.

Both of the techniques mentioned above have worked for me. I tend to place the neck mic closer to the 7th or 9th fret, however, and if it is a solo guitar--depending on the song, I tend to pan a little wider.

Also, you might try ORTF. This arrangement, similar to XY, has about 7 inches distance between the capsules with a crossing angle of about 110 degrees. In contrast to XY, ORTF provides a bit more drama in the stereo field.

Back