micing guitars

Wrangler

Any suggestions for a mike to use on a harsh sounding Taylor. It's a guitar that has pretty, though bad sounding hardwood for back and sides.
Also, ideas on what mike to use on electric guitar with clean but edgy country type sound.
Suggestions on other equipment or techniques are also welcome.
Thanks!

A good mic is just going to pick up the qualities that the guitar has, the Taylor you are using. You might get a "softer" sound by moving the mic back farther and by not placing the mic directly in front of the sound hole. Try placing it around the fifth fret, or over the shoulder, etc. Experiment with placement.

Wrangler said:
Any suggestions for a mike to use on a harsh sounding Taylor. It's a guitar that has pretty, though bad sounding hardwood for back and sides.

None. Get a different guitar (or tame it's harshness), then worry about the mic. :D I'm only half-joking, but you really should.

I'd say something with a fairly flat frequency response; earthworks has some small-diaphragm cardiod condensers I've worked with before and they're fantastic. I also like either the Shure ksm32 or blue baby bottle for something flatter and less hyped. I hesitate to recommend a ribbon mic, but hey -- you never know.

Also, ideas on what mike to use on electric guitar with clean but edgy country type sound.

The combination of guitar / pickups, amplifier will be responsible for 99% of your tone, obviously.

The best mics I've ever heard on any kind of electric guitar would be either the BLUE dragonfly or the Royer R-122. My second favorite would have to be the Audio Technica 4050, followed closely by the Shure SM57.

All very different sounds, mind you, with the dragonfly or the 4050 likely to deliver the cleanest, most accurate tone, with the 122 being the most low-key (warmest), and the sm57 somewhere between.

I find boom is an issue with my Taylor. I've had my best luck with an AKG C414B-ULS on the 12th fret with th 150 hz bass cut engaged.-Richie

Try a different brand of strings, like John Pearse phospher bronz. If you are using coated strings they can be bright.

Try a dynamic mic.

Mic more toward the bout.

Thanks for all your input. I believe that will help.

It kills me when companies like Taylor use exotic looking woods that sound like crap.

Wrangler said:
Thanks for all your input. I believe that will help.

It kills me when companies like Taylor use exotic looking woods that sound like crap.

1) What are the specific complaints you have re: your Taylor?
2) What model is it?
3) Have you contacted Taylor about your feelings? They're EXCELLENT in customer service. If you are the original owner, and your dissatisfaction is reasonable, it's entirely possible that Taylor will make it right for you. But not if you don't give them a chance.

I would be interested in knowing what model Taylor you are trying to mic up. Specifically what type of wood are the back and sides made of.

Yes, Taylor does use a variety of tone woods for the back and sides of their instruments. The sound of these woods is definitely a subjective matter. However, I seriously doubt that this guitar sounds bad. If it does, it's most likely a setup issue or something like that. If this is the case call Taylor. Their customer service is the best.

buck (Taylor 414-K)

Wrangler said:
Suggestions on other equipment or techniques are also welcome.
Thanks!

Erm…I’ll trade ya for my Ovation Celebrity :D

(worth a shot anyway :D)

I would try the combination of a large diaphram and small condensor on the accoustic, experimenting with mic placement. Slap a brand new set of strings on your Taylor, and I'm certain you will get useable sounds. I am the forum owner and host of the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum UMGF and prefer Martin guitars personally, but I actually do like Taylor guitars just fine!

Now, the twangy stuff... I have an extensive collection of guitars and amps (30+) in my project studio. These include Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Kendrick, G&L,VHT, Mesa Boogie, Evans, Peavey, ....etc. Up until about a year ago, I pretty much stuck with my trusty tele with EMGs or a strat with Kinmans. Then I picked up a G&L Comanche... yowsa! My favorite twang combo at the moment is the Comanche into my Vibrolux. I mic this with a 57 slightly off axis and on occasion use a large diaphragm set back about ten feet as a "room mic". I can get pretty good twang this way. I have a Sans amp PSA1 that is really good for the crunch stuff but not quite as realistic as the live amp. If I want truly crystalline twang, I'll use an old Evans FET 500 w/JBL D130 15 inch speaker. It is a very pure sound. Of course there are lots of folks here with far more experience than I, but this works for me.

Good luck with your quest and God Bless.
Steve Stallings

Just read the latest replys - great input! Thanks again!

Big apologies to you Taylor loyalists. I guess I'm just a big fan of the traditional rosewood back and sides on flattops.

I found that cutting some of the hi mids helped, BTW.

PS- I'm a big Martin fan and some of their guitars make aghast as well.

I have Martins and a Taylor. Harsh isn't how I'd describe my Taylor (Sapele back and sides) but that's neither here nor there. I've used a few different mics on it with great success. A Neumann KM-184, Earthworks SR-71, Octava MC-012's. YMMV.

I like to use one NT-5 for my clean electric sound.I just move it around till it sounds good then I EQ during mixing if needed.

How would i make a distorted guitar sound more full and broad?Without using alot of reverb that sounds like its there?When I record,I usually have to use a cab sim input.But even then.Would I need 2 mics?How would you do that?

Back