Micing Fire

Actually, after experimenting for a bit, I found that filling a ziplock bag with something (like Hershey's kisses) and gently massaging that by a microphone sounds more realistic than the cigerette cellophone.

Try that instead.

:D

Actually, you need some *pop* sounds, like wood crackling, so really, you could get hold of some of that plastic bubble wrap used for packing (not the huge bubbles, the little ones) and sorta of rub it together, while popping one or two of the bubbles at random times.....seriously.....

fire is really more of a visual thing than a hearing thing, so, like in the movies, the "sound" of it usually needs to be enhanced.......a good example is remembering old westerns (and new ones, I might add) that had fake hoof beats for horses........tin for thunder, etc...........gibs

I had to try Gibs idea.

This bubble wrap thing is very good for emulating a camp or hearth type fire.

You have to employ a different technique than I reccommended.

You squeeze more than massage and it takes a little practice to get the bubbles to pop without first squeeking a bit.

The method I suggested (with the ziplock and chocolate kisses) was more for a burning building or bon fire effect.

Good call Gibs.

Carl

More experimenting!

At first I had gobbled the bubble wrap into a ball.

I found that the better method is to keep two sheets flat and (as gibs initially stated) sort of rub them together by rolling your thumbs gently.

This makes it much easier to control the popping of the bubbles and makes a very realistic campfire sound.

Carl

remembering old westerns (and new ones, I might add) that had fake hoof beats for horses........tin for thunder, etc...........gibs

What I want to know is what in the HELL do these commercial people do to get that ridiculously exaggerated "crunching" noise they cue up when someone's eating?!

What I want to know is what in the HELL do these commercial people do to get that ridiculously exaggerated "crunching" noise they cue up when someone's eating?!

Griffinator, that one kinda stumps me, but it might be fun to record a plastic drink cup being crushed by hand.....or maybe a styrophone cup....the plastic would be louder, though...that might give a "chomp" sound?.............gibs

say we have 3 houses in a row...we'll call them A,B,and C.....

set house B on fire

from the roofs of A and C, mic with 2 LD condensers

from two points in the back yard of equal distance to the center of house B, mic with LD condensers aslo....

pick a point in the center of the front yard for a single mic......

combine the 5 tracks and sync htem up....can you say 5.1 ?.....

the beauty of 5.1 is that you get the sonic experience/feeling without the danger......

fire

why don't you just take that old Radio Shack mic you have(you know you all have one), que it as hot as you can get it and throw it in a nice warn, cozy fire place. should be able to get 30 seconds or so of good fire sound.
dtb

Oh, I have more than 1 radio shack mic.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I have some of that bubble wrap stuff layin around, Gibs. Ill try that when I get some time.

Back