Mic'ing distorted guitar

Cakey

The Shure is about an inch away from the front grill pointing at the centre and the AKG I have tried about 10 ins away and also at about ear level, again pointing at the front of the amp.

?

Hi,

I am trying to record a distorted guitar by mic'ing up my small amp with my Shure BG1.1 and AKG C3000. The sound coming out of the amp seems alright to me when playing, but on playback it has a very boxy, bassy sound. On the other hand, I can get a perfectly acceptable clean sound.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Is it the distorted sound? Something psychoacoustic?

Thanks,

Matt

I would isolate each mic and see which on has the most boomy sound. My guess is that it's the Shure BG1.1. Maybe back that mic up to about 3" away from the amp speaker pointed at a 45º angle towards the edge of the cone. That mic has a pretty distinct proximity effect when you get in close to 1" to the sound source. It's got a +10dB peak at around 120Hz at 1cm away ... that's probably what you're hearing. Bringing the mic 2" away brings the peak down to about +3dB ... I'm thinking that 3" should be about 0db.
Give it a shot.
I don't think the AKG is the mic giving you the problem. But ... if, after you isolate it, you find that it is ... try using the bass rolloff switch to fix it. That may work.
Anyway, good luck.

Do you have 2 seperate speakers ?

I would try 1 foot away with the Sure and the AKG 7 feet away. To me it sounds like your placing them to close.

Turn up the Amp to a strong level (not screaming).

Thanks, I'll be sure to try this when I get home tonight.

How do you find out that kind of info?
I just about know that proximity effect exists, but that's about it...:-)

I tried the bass roll-off on the AKG, as both mikes were boomy at one set of distances (both close probably) and it removed the boom but, to my ear removed some normally pleasant frequencies. But I suppose that's to be expected!

Anyway, many thanks again,

Matt

Back