micing acousitc guitars

martinepiphone

do you guys "always" mic the acoustic guitar or do you ever plug it in and record straight from that line or channel? because in my opinion they are two way different sounds...also does some kind of acoustic preamp help out.
thanks!

Both. Usually a direct and two mics on the guitarm then I blend them together. I was also thinking about running the direct signal to a DI box, send one feed to the board and one to an amp in another room. Mic the amp, mic the guitar, That gives you 4 tracks to play with.

Steel string acoustic guitars sound best miced IMO. I like the sound of nylon string guitars both direct or miced, depending on the song. But, hey, what do you like?

My vote would be to mic it. I personally like the sound of the acoustic when it is mic'ed. I guess it depends on the sound you are going after.

Depends on the guitar. My friend has a really sweet sounding guitar with a amazing sounding condenser pickup built in. It sounds great both through a DI and mic'd.

But most of the time micing is the only way to go.

Try both, see what works for that guitar, player and type of music. In heavier rock music you can get away with thin sounding accusitc guitars, but if its solo you really need a nice warm full bodied sound which you can only get by mixing mic and DI or two mics. One on the body and one on the neck works well, try many diffrent placements and mics.

Hey 13th - that's the first time I've heard of anyone (apart from me!) splitting the DI and then micing the amped sound in another room as well.

I've done this with a heavily EQ'd tube amp, can give a boost or cut to particular frequencies when mixed in. Quite a useful trick - thought I was mad when I stumbled across it. Glad to see I'm not the only one!

My Taylor has a nice preamp...nice for LIVE stuff....
I really dislike the way it sounds plugged-in for recording. I mic it.

Hey 13th - that's the first time I've heard of anyone (apart from me!) splitting the DI and then micing the amped sound in another room as well

I'm always trying new things! I figure.. why limit yourself?

Back