Micing a violin

Stereo? No, I don't think so.
I use a figure 8 ribbon, cheaper than the model in that set up but about the same distance in front and angled more in an upright position, towards the instrument.
I thought that fiddle was a bit too bassey, more like a viola really but they probably wanted that sound.

Whats the best way to mic a violin? (Stereo)
In a good sounding hall. Mic from several feet away (at least), distance and ht depending, with the stereo mic pair of your choice. Select the mic'ing location carefully. It'll sound different with small differences in placement.

I'm with Jim. You don't want stereo for 1 violin. It will cause more problems than anything else.

The key is space. You don't want to close mic the violin. It will sound harsh. So you want a few feet of space between the violin and mic.

This also makes recording in a nice sounding room super important.

The key will be experiment with placement.

Depends on what the music is. Pop or folk song with a violin in the mix? Mono's all he needs. Classical music, solo violin included, is typically recorded in stereo to get the instrument/room combination more similar to what a listener would hear in a live performance.

So OP, what's the music being recorded?

Maybe not so much as a stereo recording but a mic sort of up close then one in the room then blend to taste.
Or just one omni mic about 3 or 4 feet away at instrument height would do the trick.
But again experimentation would be the way to go to capture exactly what you want.

:cool:

I'm with Jim. You don't want stereo for 1 violin. It will cause more problems than anything else.

The key is space. You don't want to close mic the violin. It will sound harsh. So you want a few feet of space between the violin and mic.

This also makes recording in a nice sounding room super important.

The key will be experiment with placement.

Agreed. With an instrument like violin, where you record is almost as important as how you record it. If you can find a room with a high ceiling it will sound much better.

One thing I like to do with stuff like this is to have a close mic and a room mic and then blend the two into a mono track to get the natural reverb of the room. Use a ribbon for the close mic (not too close) and a large condenser for the room mic. Record them both to their own tracks and then mix them together to get a single track. This way, you can control the depth or "space" as someone else put it.

im currently using a audio technica at2020 and a at2021 and things dont sound so good no matter which way i place the mic.

Back