micing a huge drum kit...

Eddie N

10 Inch Member
im going to be recording a band pretty soon and i pretty much know how im going to go about it..the only problem is , the drummer has a huge kit... he has at least 6 toms... i figure ill use one mic on the kick , one on the snare , and two overhads behind him on he right and left sides.. my real quesion is how do i mic the kick drum?? ive go two boom mic stands for the overheads , a little clip on mic thing for the snare , but what do i do about the kick??

as a seperate question.. how do you guys feel about packaged drum mic sets?? ive seen a couple advertised in my price range , but im not sure is just a scam...since this really isnt a huge budget recording , i was gonna use an sm57 on the kick , an sm57 on the snare , and then purchase two overheads .. would i be better off buying a prepackaged drum mic kit??

thanks..

- eddie -

You sho ask lotsa questions dawg.....

Heres the dilio, wigga.....

Start off with the mic inside the drum about halfway, at the level that the beater (uh huh, he said beat) hits the drum...you may have to get a little closer with a sm57 to get a little umph.....start from there and then have the drummer do some hits on it while you monitor it with the sound coming off the board, isolated from the kit if possible....adjust according to taste.....

Harvey Gerst has some good drum micing pics (guitar and acoustic also, plus more) at his website but when I tried to go there just now, I got an eroor message...Ill try it again and see whats up and Ill post when I find it....

as far as drum mic packages, Im not wild about them....you usually do better buying according to your needs.....I think you are on the right track with your plan...the only way to go better is with a better kick mic like a Beta52 or akgd112....

Back