micing a drum set with 4 mics.

stevethecarr

I already have a shure sm-57 and a rode nt1-a and I want to mic up a drum set. I wan't to do it the cheapest way possible so what two other mics would be ideal for this? And I would prefer to spend under $300 and e-bay is not an option for me. Thanks!

A pair of oktava mc 012,s for overheads = 200.00 and a audiotechnica pro25 for kick.

If you need a snare mic you already have that with the 57.

Or use the rode for overhead and just get a akg d112 or a shure 52 for kick and just use your Rode for a single overhead, It might sound fine for that. Give it a try before you buy any overheads.

Or try the single mic methond of the Rode mic in front of the kit out about 4 or 5 feet chest high.

get a pair of studio projects c4's for overheads...sm57 on snare....nt1 on kick.....

stevethecarr said:
I already have a shure sm-57 and a rode nt1-a and I want to mic up a drum set. I wan't to do it the cheapest way possible so what two other mics would be ideal for this? And I would prefer to spend under $300 and e-bay is not an option for me. Thanks!
If it doesn't hafta be stereo, just get an AT25M or PRO25 for the kick, stick the NT-1 above the drummers head for the toms and cymbals, and throw the 57 on the snare.

sile2001 said:
Where the heck are you finding a pair of MC012's for $200.00?

Well, I've heard people are getting them for as low as $140 from GC, which gives me reason to question why they are always $230+ on Ebay...

I would get a good kick drum mic if possible, and Studio Projects C4s for the overheads. You definitely atleast want the C4s, especially if you can't get Oktavas for cheap. They're $320, so that's ever so slightly above your budget, but surely worth it.

Of course, that is assuming that you want a stereo recording. Using the NT1 on the kick might not be a good idea. You could damage it. I don't really know how you go about avoiding that. It would probably work good for a mono overhead mic, and then you would only need a kick drum mic. The best of those range from $140-200, so that's not a bad deal. You wouldn't be able to do a whole lot better with mic sound quality, aside from having more mics.

They have an 012 (I don't know how many) advertised in their case thing at the GC in Eugene Oregon for $100 (funny, because I asked if they had any like a month ago and of course, they didn't).

Wtf? Places other than GC sell Oktavas, and they have normal prices?!?!?

Btw, GC just recently started selling the Oktavas again. There was a problem with shipping/manufacturing or something, and they couldn't get them for months in the summer.

I always use a three mice setup for my drums. The sm57 for snare, akg d112 for kick and the NT1 a feet in from of the kit. Does a good job for that budget setup!

Back