micing a chello

MarkoPolo

Any favorite ways to micing the chello ?? I will be doing a project this weekend that requires a chello, I have lots of Ideas but it would be nice to here from others that might have had good success.
I have pro gear but the group I will be recording dont have a lot of time to expariment so I would like to get it right in a few setup trys.
and I never have done the chello.

So an early thanks to any replys I get.

It's 'cello'. What kind of mics and pres do you have to work with? Are you overdubbing or recording the ensemble all at once?

Don't get the mics too close

This is a low instrument. The sound needs space. If you can come up with a cello box it will help. (a podium to put the player and cello on). The box adds to the volume and richness of the instrument.

I would probably try 2 condensers. One about 2' away aimed at the F holes. The other 6 or 8' away to capture the ambience of the intrument.

This is assuming it is an isolated instrument.

If it's in front of an orchestra, a couple of close mics, one near the F holes one down near the bridge.

First to the Texroadkill question and thanks for the spelling of cello, being that I work at Orchestra Hall I should have known that.
Well I have for mics the Rode NTK Tube/AT 4033/PS C1/most of the Oktava line.two AT pro 37r's / 1 ev N/D 868. Two AT AE 3000's. AKG D112. other misc.
My only pre is the DBX 586 two rack space unit. I will be recording the keyboard first then the vocal then the cello. i use the DM24 as my board and I record to a DA78 and two DA 38s.

and thanks sloop for your advice.

FWIW - I haven't tried a cello yet, but I did record a solo violin last week that came out great. I used a stereo pair of AT Pro 37's in an X-Y configuration about 18-24 inches above and in front of the violinist and I was very pleased.

Darryl.....

Well I finished the Project over the weekend.
Saturday I recorded two songs first recording the keyboard
direct then the cello, I ended up putting the rode NTK about seven inches from the treb side F hole then I put a pro 37r up about six feet from the floor about two feet in front of the cello.
then I recorded the lead vocals on the rode NTK and the backing vocals on the AT 4033, the backing vocals were done by the lead singer so I wanted a differant mic for the backing vocals I also slowed the tape speed a little when recording the backing vocals. this gives the vocals a little more uniqueness from the lead voc when put back to normal speed. this morning Sunday I mixed everything and the group was happy, the singer sounds like a cross breed of coldplays singer and Freddy Mercury from Queen.
So thanks again for the comment I recieved.

Back