micing a bass drum!

Drummer706

AOD AND SANCTIFIED
hey guys i got my first real show on sunday and i want to mic my bass drum but i dont have a hole in the head. . . . is this a problem? i dont want to make the hole, and i want to keep that head so should i put the mic right on the head?? if it helps im using an audix d6 mic for the bass drum. thanks in advanced

Take off the front head. Bring it into your kitchen. Put it on a cutting board. Put an empty can of the diameter of the hole you want on the stove, open side down. Get the can good and hot. Pick up the can with pliers, and put it, open side down, where you want the hole. Remove quickly. Instant hole.

i guess i will try cutting the hole. hopefully it wont change the sound of my bass drum cuz i love how it sounds now.

Drummer706 said:
i guess i will try cutting the hole. hopefully it wont change the sound of my bass drum cuz i love how it sounds now.

cutting a port (hole) in a bass head DOES make it sound different - less controlled and more boomy generally, but it depends on where you make the hole, and the size of it.

A small port (just big enough for the mic) around near the corner might yeild a result that is least different from your original sound.

Anyway I wasn't aware that a port was absoulutly nessecary for micing a bassdrum for live applications - I am aware that it means less bleed/more focus on the drum, but it's not vital, I've seen many (famous) drummers, in the studio AND live who have unported bass heads.

iceyflame said:
cutting a port (hole) in a bass head DOES make it sound different - less controlled and more boomy generally, but it depends on where you make the hole, and the size of it.

A small port (just big enough for the mic) around near the corner might yeild a result that is least different from your original sound.

Anyway I wasn't aware that a port was absoulutly nessecary for micing a bassdrum for live applications - I am aware that it means less bleed/more focus on the drum, but it's not vital, I've seen many (famous) drummers, in the studio AND live who have unported bass heads.

True!

I've done sound in a local cafe a few times now.. If I know that a 22" kick will be there without a head, I bring my own. The single time that no hole was available, and not allowed to cut (loaner drumkit) the sound sucked. This was also caused by the fact that both heads were as tight as normally the baterhead of the snare drum, but hey, what can you do.

Putting the mick in front of the head could give good results, but on a small stage you only have to wait until someone kicks the mic+stand away from the head. I placed it on the beater-side which gave me some 'tick' in the sound, but only a little bit low-end and loads of bleed..

Rather have a hole indeed.

When you are talking about a large venue with a big PA system, you can get away without having a hole. In a small place, the PA won't have the power to give the kick impact. In smaller places, it is the 'click' that gives the kick its definition, impossible to get without the hole.

Even though most of the drummers I run into that have no hole are either triggering or have a mic mouted internally.

Cut the hole. It doesn't matter how your drums sound to you. You are there to entertain people, if your drums sound great to you but sound like ass to the audience, you're not doing your job.

On the whole (pun intended), I'd have to agree with most of these replies. I might take exception with iceyflame - because a hole lets air out, it reduces the resonance of the drum.
Regardless of all that, it IS possible to get a good sound without a hole... however it often requires lots of time, energy, and sometimes dual-micing to get the sound you want. If you're ok with very little definition in the sound, mic the resonant head - you'll get a low, muddy thud. Probably won't sound very good. On the other hand, if you mic the batter head, you'll get a good bit of click, but not much resonance, depending somewhat on how you play (do you leave the beater against the head at all, or does it come right off?) and where the mic is.
The easiest way to get a good sound with one mic is really to cut a hole. How big of one depends on how much resonance you want your drum to have. If you like it really dry, you could cut up to a 6" hole for the mic (or leave the front head off...). Really wet and resonant, down to a 3". Personally, I'm a big fan of a 4" hole, off to the side and down a bit, with a good bit of padding inside. You can control the resonance with the padding.
I personally love the way my kick sounds right now - I've got a pretty heavy batter head, a wood beater, a single-ply resonant with a dampening ring and a 4" hole, and then some foam inside. I also use a D6, and just shove the thing in about halfway - almost always sounds fantastic. Sometimes I'll just throw the mic on the foam inside if I don't feel like fooling with the stand. I tune the batter head very loosely, just tight enough to get the distortion out of the head, and then tune the resonant head to a nice low kick sound.

Just my two cents... try different things, start with a SMALLER hole and work towards bigger if you want. To me, bass drums are pretty easy to tune, at least compared to the rest of the drums. You'll find a sound you like with a hole - don't worry. :)

hey guys thanks a lot for your help. im going to cut the hole tommorow and tommorow is the BIG day so thanks a lot. i'll let you guys know how it goes.

ermghoti said:
Take off the front head. Bring it into your kitchen. Put it on a cutting board. Put an empty can of the diameter of the hole you want on the stove, open side down. Get the can good and hot. Pick up the can with pliers, and put it, open side down, where you want the hole. Remove quickly. Instant hole.
That's a kickass idea!

ermghoti said:

this works very well.

iceyflame said:

I agree...depending upon the type of music we're talking about, external micing is quite doable. I find that a minimalist set up is the ticket though. Everything has to balance out nicely.

Mic out front and another on the batter side close up to the beater. It's a little more work and getting the placement is a little tougher but it can be done. I do jazzer's like this quite often. Usually, we cut the the beater mic all together. Those little sets are so tight and a treat to listen to.

hey thanks for all your help guys. last night i cut the hole i placed the mic and it sounded great. and i like the sound of the bass drum more now than i did before so thanks for all your help.

Back