Michael Angelo sound

Aviel

shreder wannabe
Hey
Can someone give me some clue on how to achieve this kind of sound?
its very synthsised (i guess its the distortion?) and very clear..
But i find it hard to get that synth, smooth, even a little unreal sound..

Any ideas?>

Thanks

Any samples to listen to? (It might be safe to assume that we know of him, but it might not be safe to assume we have a track handy...:D)

Well ... the guitar sounds like something you could get from a preset on just about any amp modeler (If it has an "Yngwie Malmsteen" preset, then you're in luck!).

The syth sounds like something you could get out of a $100 Casio from a 1980's Sears catalog.

And the drum machine sounds like one of those old Boss BR types you could probably get at a pawn shop for 20 bucks.

Nothing here is unattaionable at all (with the exception of the mad chops -- that's all on you), which should be very encouraging for you. At the same time, one might also strive to raise the bar somewhat higher ... but I guess we all need to start somewhere. :D

Start with a crappy guitar, into a crappy distortion pedal, crappy EQ pedal scooped to stupidity, crappy digital delay set to some function of the tempo (probably an eighth or quarter note), a crappy digital reverb cranked to about 13, and then a crappy amp.

But why would you want to?

(And by the by, for all that I think his tone sucks - and hard - that's still a pretty accurate assessment of his setup. Buy your reverb by the tanker truck full, `cause your going to need it).

Oh, and actually, now that I think of it his stuff is probably all rack mounted and going through an effects loop.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Start with a crappy guitar, into a crappy distortion pedal, crappy EQ pedal scooped to stupidity, crappy digital delay set to some function of the tempo (probably an eighth or quarter note), a crappy digital reverb cranked to about 13, and then a crappy amp.

But why would you want to?

(And by the by, for all that I think his tone sucks - and hard - that's still a pretty accurate assessment of his setup. Buy your reverb by the tanker truck full, `cause your going to need it).

Oh, and actually, now that I think of it his stuff is probably all rack mounted and going through an effects loop.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

You must be having a bad day.

Wikipedia has an extensive listing of equipment he's used over the years.

The 'tone' these guys use has more to do with the feel of the guitar while they are playing it than the sound of the instrument. Batio's tone is one of the least annoying of the shred tones.

Isn't it chorus or some kind of doubler that gives the initial effect in that video?

my guess would be a good tube amp maybe a jcm 900, Ibanez tube screamer, digital delay pedal, his active pick-ups. and insane 150bpm 16th note sweep's .
and massive compression.

my guess would be a good tube amp maybe a jcm900, Ibanez tube screamer, digital delay pedal, his active pick-ups. and insane 150bpm 16th note sweep's .
and massive compression.

I admit I actually like him and he's impressive, as souless as he can come off- I never thought I'd head that someone wanted to get his sound, no offense

anyway I bet he talks about what he uses today, seems like a real open friendly helpful dude

I bet he's also got some $$ on the equip he's got, and some serious half stacks or full stacks,

it can be hard to replicate that kind of stuff without the proper gear, etc

Like I said before, the amp doesn't matter much. He has used Marshall, Randalls, Mesas, ADA preamps, the list goes on and on. Yet, he still always sounds like that. He gets the sound out of his pedal board (overdrive and EQ for distortion and delays and choruses when needed) and the amp doesn't make much of a difference.

agreed, and I can't believe that Randall sponsored the dude for 9 years.

I can't hear his name or the MAB acronym without snickering. I'm not a big guitarist worshiper myself. :)

This is just too funny

agreed, and I can't believe that Randall sponsored the dude for 9 years.

I can't hear his name or the MAB acronym without snickering. I'm not a big guitarist worshiper myself. :)

This is just too funny
He lives 4 miles away from the Washburn/Randall facility. He is a big self promoter.

He is a big guy over at Dean Guitars, which have a co-sponsor deal with Diamond amps. It'll only be a matter of time before he is playing those.

He has used everything under the sun, he just sounds like that.

hey, no offense, for slagging on the genre: I grew up trying to nail those fast runs, and think I burned out.

I do think he has decent tone too, and I'm sure he's as loud as all getout.
I didn't come here so much to talk about guitar tone, etc but this is an interesting sideroad for a recording forum.

On a related note: I just bought a 100 dollar dean guitar, and think it's pretty cool actually. Needs new pickups, etc but nice body, nice price.

in the utoob clips of dfring's 1st link
Michael Angelo Batio "Performance" DVD excerpts
The Marshall amps don't seem to be turned on!
Now that 's cool - he plays so fast & hot he generates his own electricity.
It's that sort of playing that convinced me to ignore all metal recorded in the 80's. I went from Zep, Budgie & Sabs to Paw & then Tool. Radio Birdman filled in the gap with hard rock.
Oh, shreder wannabe? That'd be shredder unless you really want to be some one who shreeds.

Back