Mic upgrade from Cad 179 to ????

nick6572

I have been using a CAD M39 LD condenser to record onto my cranky old Yamaha MD8 mini disc. The M39 is the same as the M179. I have always found it to be a bit bright or harsh on vocals and am looking to upgrade. I plan on spending $300. My currant favorites in this price range are the AT 4040,CAD M9,MXL v69 and the Rode NT1000. I have read so many good things about the MXl v69 that it is the leader right now. The pre I am using is an ART Dual MP. Two of my candidates are tube mics.Would running a tube mic through a tube pre give me to much toob?? Am I in the right price range to move up??

I've got a couple of the MXLV69's...it's a nice mic for the price but what are you planning to record? It won't fit for everything. I like it for some warmer intimate sounds for acoustic instruments and some voices. I would recommend you pick the application then test drive it. If you're looking to round out your collection, not a bad one consider in that price range.

You really have to audition these mics on your voice. I can tell ya what works for me but that would be useless info. You need to do the research and find "your sound"

nick. are you sure its the m179 or it could be the mic pre your going into with the m179 perhaps ? maybe try the m179 with a higher end pre ,
and see if your happier ? just an idea.

How do I "audition" a mic? I thought all mics were non returnable. The MXl v69 is available to me only as a mail order item.

nick6572 said:
...The M39 is the same as the M179. I have always found it to be a bit bright or harsh on vocals and am looking to upgrade....
I have a CAD M37 and had some discussion several years ago with tech support at CAD, who told me that the M37 and the M177 did not use the same capsule, though the electronics were the same.

So I don't think you can say that the M39 and the M179 necessarily would sound the same, as the 179 may actually have a different capsule than the 39. You'd really have to get a 179 and compare them side by side.

I e-mailed there tech support folks at CAD and they told me the M 39 and the M179 were exactally the same except for a minor difference in the windscreen.

Also include the Electro-Voice RE15 or RE16 in the short list for (well) under $300. If you can add a bit more more, the RE20 should also be in the running.
All three respond well to judicious EQing BTW, whereas budget LDC's don't always.

Other than the CAD M9 (haven't tried), the EV's listed above are superior on my voice to any of the other mics discussed on this thread so far. YMMV.

You may also want to consider selling the ART and getting another pre that isn't so commital in making "toob" tone. I'm not sure if the starved plate tube in your pre can be bypassed-like a Studio Projects VTB-1, for example.

To have EVERY track with smeared transients can get muddy pretty quick!

Chris

Back