Mic this set (please)

Milkfaj

I have a four piece drumset. one crash , one ride, one china and crash on top of each other. piccolo snare, which i hope to replace soon.

i have up to eight tracks to record them to, although i'd like to use less than 8.

I have the following mics- tell me where you would put them:

SM57
D112
Sennheiser MD421
Beyer M201
(2x) AT4040
Shure PG58
Turner Model 99 (1940's)
Reslo Ribbon (1960's)

Ive been using the 57 on snare, MD421 on kick, and the 4040's as overheads, but im only semi-satisfied with the results. im interested in trying some new and perhaps unorthodox suggestions- thanks!

i just got the beyer and the vintage Mics, so i havent got to test them out much.

im recording to an analog reel to reel through an A&H mixwizard, i also have a DBX 266, which I dont use often.

ive heard people saying that the m201 is way better on the snare then the 57 but i guess it's just opinion but try it out.

Milkfaj said:
I have the following mics- tell me where you would put them:

SM57
D112
Sennheiser MD421
Beyer M201
(2x) AT4040
Shure PG58
Turner Model 99 (1940's)
Reslo Ribbon (1960's)

57 on snare
D112 on kick
PG58 on high tom
MD421 on floor tom
AT4040 on overheads

Compress the kick and snare and add the Reslo as a room mic if the room sounds good (and you like the sound of a room mic). You can treat the room mic with some reverb to make the room effect better. Room mics are more about a time delay than reverb unless the room is huge.

What drum sizes are you using? What style/sound are you going for?

From your other thread (that disappeared from the mic forum's first page):

Based on popular choices on this board and elsewhere (since the only mic in your list that I have used is the SM57), I would do:

D112 on kick, 201 on snare, SM57 on rack tom, MD421 on floor tom, and AT4040s as overheads

Or

D112 on kick, 201 on snare, 57 on rack tom, 421 on floor tom, and an M-S setup with an AT4040 as the Mid and the Reslo (I'm assuming its a figure eight) as the Side.

Then I would sell the 57 and buy a Sennheiser e609 Silver and put that on the rack tom instead.

I would use the MD 421 topside on the snare and the 57 on the side of the shell at the rim or underneath.

I would use the D112 on the kick

I would use the 4040s as spaced pair OH

I would avoid micing toms if at all possible - the above setup should be slammin'. Experiment with placement, it makes a huge difference.

Back