Mic Technique

Randy5235

So I have an sm57,and an art tube mp,running into my sb pci128 on my computer,The sound I'm getting isnt that bad ,its just not that good,I believe it probably my placement and room ,more than the equipment,I live in an apartment,so I cant get really loud either,I was thinking about some different mic techniques ,I almost forgot,I'm recording electric guitar through a tube amp,and my sound isn't as full as I'd like,I've try stereo miking ,but the two mic's I have don't compliment each other as well as i'd like.,any ideas would be helpful especially as to mic placement ,of axis and maybe using things like a blanket or pillows in front of or behind? the area,also would it help if I got my cabinet off the floor and maybe on a chair?thanks
randy5235

[Edited by Randy5235 on 09-26-2000 at 20:34]

If you got 2 mics for the guitar amp and you want to
get a fuller sound...if its a open back combo try micing
the back of the amp and the front of the amp...The back will give you the bottom end...The front will give you definition.Experement with the placement and hopefully
you may not even have to tuch your EQ... Good luck

Randy, I have read a lot of articles in Recording and Guitar Player mags. The first thing to say is that the mic can only record the original sound as it is. If the source does not have that full sound, the recording will not either. When recording electric guitar, a lot of the pros have their amps cranked to get the full warmth of the amp. Ohter tricks they use (and this is something that you can try) is recording multiple tracks of the same guitar part. Also have you tried any FX units like the POD.

I prefer not to use effects or any type of DI (cept for bass) I reall am under the impression that it probably lies mostly in the room(not much a can do about it)and as fae as my sound goes,I get a VERY thick warm tone(marshall jcm 800 with 6550's)through either cabinet(4X10,or 4X12)maybe I just need to work more with mic placement and maybe create some sort of temporary baffle??

There is one more thing that might help.
since your cabs are closed back...You could try
something that is used on kick drums with out front heads.
Its something that is called tunneling.
You take a heavy blanket create a tent from the front of the shell to 2'to 3' or so .It might work on a guitar amp also, I've never used this on a amp... but it might help .
Your question also made me think of anoughter alternitive.
This is one that I've got try myself!You know those pickups that you stick on the face of acust. guitars..The transducer type.I wonder if that would sound good stuck to the back of a cabinet .Good luck

jc is right about cranking the amp up.no matter where the mic is,a good guitar sound comes from moving air.i used to pull my hair out trying to get a good guitar sound when i lived in an apartment.the best solution i came up with back then was to run my jcm 800 head into a scholz power soak and then to a hughes and kettner "red box" d.i. through the speaker level input in combination with an sm 57 up to the grill.the cab emulation in the red box wasn't that bad,especially with the 57 helping a little.just had to put a fan on the back of the marshall and watch the tube temp.....hope this helps......peace

Back