Mic Suggestions for Live Concert Recording

Bassman2003

Hello,

I am looking into recording some concerts in medium to small size venues (200-500 people).

I was wondering what mics anybody might suggest to use.

Also, how many mics one might use to capture this type of event.

The music will have some acoustic and some electric instruments.

Price range would be up to ~$400 per mic.

Thanks

What kind of ensemble? A choir vs a string quartet vs a symphony orchestra?

And are you looking for just recording or also for providing amplification to the event itslef?

It depends on what type of recording you want to do. If you have the means, you can mic everything like you would in the studio, using certain techniques to cut down on leakage (like close miking, using unidirectional mics as much as possible, etc.) and other live recording problems. This would be the way to professionally record a live show.

If you are on a budget, you can always record shows the way a bootlegger would. That is, get two of the same mics (usually small diaphragm condensers) or a stereo mic and record onto DAT or minidisc or other 2-ch recording device. I have a cheap little Sony mic that actually gets a pretty nice live sound. It's the ECM-MS907 (electret condenser) stereo mic from Sony. I plug it into my Sony minidisc, set my levels and make sure I have a good spot to put my mic (it's pretty small) and I usually come out with a decent sounding recording, especially in smaller venues. Although, since I've gotten into pro audio, I haven't done this. If I were to do this now, I would record to DAT with two small diaphragm condensers like the Neumann KM84. I would imagine this would get a much better sound, but the mics aren't cheap.

Although, I still use my Sony ECM-MS907 sometimes as a stereo room mic when recording drums and I've actually gotten it to sound very nice. And at $70 for the mic, you can't go wrong.

Shure SM-81s work quite well for that application. Others will probably have other suggestions. :) Those are what I have, they have worked well for me. I am interested to see other options, this could be a good thread.

Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

I have a video business, so I will be filming the events.

Offering high quality sound is important to me since I am a musician as well.

The type of music will vary so I am trying to buy some equipment to cover a variety of situations.

My cameras have XLR inputs which I will run a little 4 mic channel Mackie into.

So I have four inputs to work with.

Any opinions about close mics vs room mics would be great.

Also about the sound quality between the two.

Thanks!

Bassman2003 said:
Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

I have a video business, so I will be filming the events.

Offering high quality sound is important to me since I am a musician as well.

The type of music will vary so I am trying to buy some equipment to cover a variety of situations.

My cameras have XLR inputs which I will run a little 4 mic channel Mackie into.

So I have four inputs to work with.

Any opinions about close mics vs room mics would be great.

Also about the sound quality between the two.

Thanks!
OK you want a single set of mics to cover a variety of situations and four inputs. I am also guessing that your clients will not want anything too visually intrusive, so here is what I would go with.

Mic 1 and 2 are a pair of SDC cardoid condensers (SDC = small diameter condenser, like the Oktava 012, MXL 603, and others) rigged in an XY or ORTF pair on a tall mic stand in front of the first row of the audience.

Mic 3 is a room mic. I am guessing that your customers will want their video to sound like the crowd is really cheering loudly, so get an SDC omnidirectional. You can even mount it on the same stand. (Alternately you could get a third cardoid and point it backwards at the audience.) The point is that you can use your mixer to ramp up the crowd noise when you want and ramp it down the rest of the time.

Mic 4 is an emphasis mic. In other words if something is not being picked up enough by mics 1 through 3 then put mic 4 on it. What I would suggest for this is a shotgun mic. The reason is that the shotgun's narrow pattern get just the thing you need the extra emphasis on. In addition a shotgun mic is a standard tool for a videographer's kit anyway. If for example the customer wants to tape pre-performance or post-performance interview then a camera-mounted or boom-mounted shotgun is exactly the tool you need.

Thanks for your reply.

I have narrowed the two SDC's down to SM81's or AT4041's.

Any opinions?

The 4041's are $300 per pair cheaper, which will afford me the shotgun mic.

So I am leaning towards the AT4041's unless the sm81's are way better sounding.

The Octava mic's seems to have quality issues from what I have read.

I guess I should consider them if they are so affordable.

Thanks for any opinions.

Bassman2003 said:
Thanks for your reply.

I have narrowed the two SDC's down to SM81's or AT4041's.

Any opinions?

The 4041's are $300 per pair cheaper, which will afford me the shotgun mic.

So I am leaning towards the AT4041's unless the sm81's are way better sounding.

The Octava mic's seems to have quality issues from what I have read.

I guess I should consider them if they are so affordable.

Thanks for any opinions.

I haven't seen such a drastic price difference. I usually see the 4041s for about $299 each, and the 81s for $349 each. Still saves $100, though. Point me to it if you have found a better price. I'd love another pair of nice SDCs. :)
I can't offer any comparison, as I have not heard the 4041s. They are from the A/T 40 series, though, which has a great reputation. (ATM 4033, 4050, and 4060). I would guess they are on about the same level as the 81s.
I bought my 81s about seven years ago, before the advent of a lot of these more affordable SDC mics like Octavas, etc. They have served me very well, but I have not done any direct comparisons.

8th street music has the 4041's for a bulk price of $199 each.

I also noticed the Studio projects C4 while on their site.

There are too many chioces.

So it looks like I am comparing the SM81's - AT4041's - Studio Projects C4.

Thanks for an input!

Last edited:
Back