mic stands

mikeyc222

anybody got any suggestions for some decent mic stands for my project studio? i only have one now and it just doesn't cut it.

wow, those are shockingly(at least to me) expensive. anything that is a little more on a project studio budget?

:cool: Ams, muse friend, full compass, etc have 30 dollar foldup stands. they are less tipsy than the round heavy base ones.

da MUTT

i use the $35-$50 tripod mic stands. sometimes they start to tip when i have a heavy mic extended way out. instead of droping another $100 on a better stand i just go to the garage and get a brick and tape it to one of the three legs as a counter balance.

tama drums makes some nice mic stands and they are priced reasonably.i use mine for my drums (surprise!)but they would work for about anything.

I am not sure what you mean by not cutting it, but I have found that a heavy LD condeser (or ever worse a pair) on the end of a long boom is going to be tipsy just about no matter what. So rather than think that I can spend enough to get a mic stand that can defy the laws of physics a sandbag is all that is really needed.

how many do you need?

and how good of stands?

if you want generic, regular "on stage" type stands and if you plan on tracking a band, you'll do yourself a favor by hitting this deal: <http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...08001197469/g=rec/search/detail/base_id/43391>.

6 regular, run of the mill tripod boom stands for $100, and they were something like $108 shipped to my door. they're not great (ie: $100) stands, but they hold sm57's just fine and LD condensers ok.......and with a sandbag on the opposing tripod legs as innovations suggested, they're quite stable.

considering they're ~$20 each with $8 shipping on ebay, or $30 at your local axe shop, this is like getting 2.5 of em free. and if you only need 3 or 4, remember, more mic stands always come in handy.

they do tend to rattle a bit (the lever that adjusts the boom is metal on metal), so if you need absolute silence, you need to look elsewhere (and at the more expensive stands)....but for a "live room", these will do a fine job.

wade

This is for a desktop stand, but U can use longer tubing for a reg stand

The parts you need are a mic clip (should come with your mic), a 3/8 inch nipple (that is what they're called I did not name them) of any length you desire (I recommend the shorter the better), a 1/2 to 3/8 bushing, a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer, a 3/4 inch nipple pipe of as short a length as you can find or want(mine is 4.5in), and finally a 3/4 inch wall flange. The grand total on the parts was $6.70. Average 'non- homemade' desk mic stand costs around $20.
You can also go 1/2 inch on the main pipe and flange and then you don't need the reducer, but while you save a dollar, I like the added weight and stability of the 3/4 inch pipe. I had to go copper for the 3/8 nipple because they only made it in copper and for the bushing it was actually cheaper in copper, and that looks better (At Home Depot at least the keep the copper pipes in a different area, the next aisle over from the main pipe section). For the other pipes I had the choice of black or galvanized. I chose black, I think it looks a lot better.
The one issue is that the pipe thread is a wider gauge, so you can only tighten the mic clip on a few turns but that is enough.
If you like to build things yourself, want to save 12+ dollars, or need a bunch of desk mic stands I think these are great. I recommend bringing your mic clip with you to the hardware store and putting everything together there before you buy, that way you can decide how tall you want your mic stand to be and try different parts

<<All that On Stage stuff is Chinese.>>

so chinese-made mics are ok.....chinese-made sneakers are ok.....even chinese food is ok.......but chinese-made mic stands aren't?

can someone show me where the "Big Book of Chinese Gear that is Acceptable for Use" is kept? i must've missed a page in my reading last night.....

wade

Back