Mic stands?

LDS

Need some advice/reviews on mid-priced mic stands. Specifically looking at the On Stage SMS7650 and the Ultimate MC-125, or something else in the below $200 price range. The base needs to be large and heavy enough to be stable with a tube condenser mounted and the boom extended, yet small enough to be able to store easily.

Who has recommendations/warnings/experiences/etc. with specific stands?

Although I lust for the Latch Lake stands, they're currently out of my budget.

Hmmm... I bought these guys. They're cheap, but they get the job done. I figure a mic-stand is a mic-stand for the most part.
None of them have failed on me in 5 years, and the only time they've fallen over with a mic attached is when I've bumped them with the boom way out there.

Stability: get a 10lb barbell weight and attach it to the bottom of the mic stand with an automotive hose clamp.
Then your heavy mic is irrelevant.

Here's the baby. Not to be confused with the cheap, light mic stands referenced above. With this bad boy, you can put an AKG Solid Tube 12' in the air with no problem, or 6-8' horizontal.- Richie

OnStage SMS7650 | 8thstreet.com | Call 1-800-878-8882 | Free Shipping on most orders!

^^^^^^^^^^This is the one! ;)

I just resonantly recorded a weekend of music in a hall that had a balcony so I used this stand to hang my 2 Lbs. Avantone CK-40 stereo microphone off the balcony!
Though I did put a 10 Lbs. sand bag counterweight on the base of the stand for piece of mind. ;)

If you are going to use bar bell weights as I do from time to time I slide them into old camera case, CD case, or any bags that will hold them that have shoulder straps - then just drape the strap over the counterweight.

Back