mic stand

The cheap "On-Stage" type stands work fine. If you are using one with a boom, make sure one of the legs is pointing the same way your boom is, to compensate for the torque the weight of the mic puts on the stand, and keep it from tipping over. With a condenser, you'll probably want a shockmount if you don't already have one. You can pick up a decent (ok, usable :D) generic one at Guitar Center.

go to your music store, take your mic with you, and then try them...buy the one that works with you mic and you can afford it. If your music store won't let you put your mic on the stands they have, try somewhere else...

Jacob

Sam Ash sold me a Samson kit of 3 boom mic stands that came with 3 XLR cables, including a travel gig bag for the 3 stands. i like the samson stands, the knobs are way esier to turn the the knobs no my previous Apex stand. i got the 3 kit for like 80 bucks, which is a super deal. some stands alone go for 40-60 bucks, so 3 for 80 plus 3 XLR cables for under 100 bucks is a good deal. :)

If you don't plan to move them around a lot cheap stands will work as well as more expensive ones. Cheaper stands are often made of lighter weight materal so you may need to add a little extra weight to the base. A couple of extra pounds on the side opposite the mic will keep stands from tipping over. I went to a plumbing supply store and got a few pieces of lead, 5 lbs. about 4 inches across and 2 inches thick, if they move, a piece of duck tape holds them in place nicely. If you are using boom stands you can add extra weight (counterbalance) to the boom arm by simply sticking a large magnet near the end opposite the mic. If your stands resonate and add extra boominess (depending on your mic and mount) you can simply wrap the stands or slip a piece of armax (foam stuff designed for insulating water pipes) over the stands.

Another way to weight down a light stand is with weights. I put ten pound olympic weights on my stands by taking them apart in the middle and dropping a weight down the center shaft. No tilting stands.

Back