Mic sounds stuffy/muddy

jwkim

I use line 6 UX2 and an SM58 to record as a hobby. One problem I noticed was that
my voice sounds stuffed up like it has a stuffy nose/muddy, kinda nasally (NO i dont sing nasally)

The POD farm comes with a 4-equalizer, and Im guessing I have to adjust that to solve this problem?

are there frequencies that I would have to lessen or boost using the eq?

I use line 6 UX2 and an SM58 to record as a hobby. One problem I noticed was that
my voice sounds stuffed up like it has a stuffy nose/muddy, kinda nasally (NO i dont sing nasally)

The POD farm comes with a 4-equalizer, and Im guessing I have to adjust that to solve this problem?

are there frequencies that I would have to lessen or boost using the eq?

What presets are you using ? Have you done a recording with them bypassed ?

Also, tell us about your mic technique.

Use your ears, but generally you can cut everything under 100-200hz, you can also add a few db of 8-10k, dont sing right on top of the mic like you would live, leave 3-4 inches or more.

Where are you singing??? What I mean is, are you in a "booth"???? A closet???? Are you in the corner of the room??? How big is the space you're singing in???

Have the mic aimed at an angle down higher than your mouth, so you have to bend your neck back slightly, this will help reduce the nasal sound. Remember that you do not hear your voice the way everyone else does, due to the conduction of sound through your facial bones.

(NO i dont sing nasally)

How do you know? Do you have other recordings of your voice that don't have this issue?

I was horrified when I heard my actual singing recorded for the first time and put lots of effort into changing my tone...rather than thinking it was something I could "fix" using the technology...

Remember that you do not hear your voice the way everyone else does, due to the conduction of sound through your facial bones.

I was horrified when I heard my actual singing recorded for the first time
Good points. We all sound "nasally" to ourselves the first time we hear ourselves recorded. It's very possible that you're actually hearing your voice the same way others always hear you.

I'm quite sure I don't sing nasally, as I have recorded and heard myself countless times to monitor my singing using other devices as well.

I'm guessing that my mic technique may be wrong, as I tend to sing really close to the mic to the point that my mouth is almost touching it, (i donno how to explain it but I tend to connect more emotionally out of habit when I do this while playing the guitar)
also I've seen some good people sing very close to the mic and sound great (ex. boyce avenue)

I record in a regular sized bedroom, and for presets use a preamp/sometimes not, compressor, and thats about it

when you say i should cut 100-200hz lower, does that mean turn down the knob entirely?

Also as a side question, do I have to develop pronounciating the "p's" weaker, or is there something i can use to diminish this effect (other than a pop filter, never saw a sm58 with a pop filter b4)

thanks for the help!

Cool - if you've ruled out the source as the issue, that makes it easier. I always start at the source with these things...

I try to turn my head a bit when doing plosive sounds so I'm not popping straight at the mic if I'm not using a pop filter. Try that. It does mean you have to really be on top of the lyrics though..

Other thing I'd suggest is that an SM58 isn't a high end studio recording mic - I sound nasal and crappy using one and much better using a decent large diaphragm condenser... if you can't EQ it out, try borrowing a condenser from someone and see if that makes a difference...

How do you know? Do you have other recordings of your voice that don't have this issue?

I was horrified when I heard my actual singing recorded for the first time and put lots of effort into changing my tone...rather than thinking it was something I could "fix" using the technology...

I took the later route. But as a trombone player, not much can be done about the tone. And having been at it 20+ years, I had a fair ideal of what it and recorded it should sound like. But mostly the noise floor of the chain drove me through a pluthera of gear question for nirvana. Sometimes good enough just wont do. At least not when there are expectations involved.

I'm guessing that my mic technique may be wrong, as I tend to sing really close to the mic to the point that my mouth is almost touching it, (i donno how to explain it but I tend to connect more emotionally out of habit when I do this while playing the guitar)
also I've seen some good people sing very close to the mic and sound great (ex. boyce avenue)

when you say i should cut 100-200hz lower, does that mean turn down the knob entirely?

Also as a side question, do I have to develop pronounciating the "p's" weaker, or is there something i can use to diminish this effect (other than a pop filter, never saw a sm58 with a pop filter b4)

thanks for the help!

I also touch the mic performing live, I know what you mean. A little space will open the sound more for recording.

I'm not sure how that EQ works but yes you can cut the low bass frequencies alot (if it sounds good)

Anything you can do as a singer to make your recording sound better is worth doing, i.e. pronounce less "puh" and "shh" and "ess" all sounds that can jump out of a vocal track.

Armistice also has a good point, you may like your recorded voice alot more on a condensor mic. Some guys do sound good on a 58, I sound horrible on one. We can suggest a few that are quite good under $150.00

Back