Mic Shoot-Out (U87,U89,Blueberry,K2,AT4050,AT4040,Vienna au12,sm57)

natecoemusic

Mics are 1/4 of the battle between the great vocalist, a good preamp, and great A/D converters. When picking the right mic for something, you have to understand the strengths and weaknesses of everything that you use and be able to use these things effectively.

Here is A microphone shoot-out using:

Neumann U87
Neumann U89
Blue Blueberry
Rode K2
Audio-Technica 4050
Audio-Technica 4040
ADK Vienna au12
Shure Sm-57

Vocal Mic Shoot-out (Neumann,Blue,Rode,Audio-Technica,ADK,Shure) - YouTube

Enjoy!!!!

Mics are 1/4 of the battle between the great vocalist, a good preamp, and great A/D converters. When picking the right mic for something, you have to understand the strengths and weaknesses of everything that you use and be able to use these things effectively.

Here is A microphone shoot-out using:

Neumann U87
Neumann U89
Blue Blueberry
Rode K2
Audio-Technica 4050
Audio-Technica 4040
ADK Vienna au12
Shure Sm-57

Vocal Mic Shoot-out (Neumann,Blue,Rode,Audio-Technica,ADK,Shure) - YouTube

Enjoy!!!!
Thanks for posting,..great comparison!Very professionally done.To my ears the Neumann's are still tops with their fullness,warmth,mid-range focus and low sibilance characteristics.However,I thought the ADK Vienna au12 gave the U89 a run for it's money.The Blueberry and AT 4050 seemed to share the same overall qualities,being somewhere between the Neumann and Rode sound.The Rode K2 had more high end presence and clarity than the Neumann's,...but I expected this to be the case as I have a Rode NTK and Rode NT5 match stereo pair which have the same characteristics.I find even though the Rode products sound really cuts through in a mix you have to deal with a bit more sibilance,...but proper pop filter and mic placement in relation to the singers mouth can overcome this issues with satisfactory results.The AT 4040 sounded better than the SM 57,...but not by much to my ears.Of course that's as best I've ever heard a SM 57 sound due to it's signal going through the Neve 1073 preamp.I think the SM 57 should stay near guitar amps and pecussion where it seems to shine best.

Some great mics all with individual characteristics that set them apart to be used for an array of different applications.The only one I would kick out of the group is the AT 4040.

The U87 is king to me within this group.

Back