Mic setup!

zerotosixty

I have a Beta SM57, and I was wondering if I was only going to mic my kit with 2 other mics what should they be, and where should they be placed? I was thinking:
My Beta SM57-Snare/hihat/crash
AKG D112-Kick
Another Beata SM57-Toms/Ride

Any better ideas? :confused:

BTW, if anyone knows Jimmy Eat World's drum setup on the album "Clarity" please post.
And if anyone hasn't heard Jimmy Eat World you should try and find an mp3 of them, they kick a#$!

If you're only talking 2 more mics ... I'd check out some PZM mics. These would work great as drum overheads (as well as for other instruments) with the SM57 in the kick. Also, you could put one in the kick, the SM57 on the snare and one as an overhead (mono, though) and get good results. A thought anyway.

I guess it depends on the drum sound you are after, but you you could go with:

Snare - the B57
Kick - an EV868 (or insert your Kick mic of choice here)
Overhead - some sort of condenser mic, small or large diaphram. A Rode NT1 or Shure SM81 would work well.

You could try a pair of condensers as stereo overheads and use the B57 on the kick. I had been recording my drums with one overhead and when I switched to recording overheads in stereo, I was blown away be the difference. It is significant.

Do you know anyone that you could borrow (or rent) some mics from? You may want to "try before you buy" to see what works for your drum style in your recording room.

sb

Um, I don't think the RODE NT1 is a good idea for a drum overhead. I have one, and it is a great mic, but I don't think it could handle the high SPLs from drums... Sure, it's rated with a max SPL of 135, but I read a review in mix magazine that that really isn't the case. THey didn't suggest it as a drum overhead either. Just a thought.

yes, jimmy eat world kicks. the engineering on clarity is amazing. static prevails was not bad either.

the drums in "TEN" woahhhh that is amazing.
i think the only way to get that sound would be to go into a studio though..... i mean, it would probably cost you a small fortune for whatever mics you would need to pull that off, and at the quantity drums require

Back