mic setup for live/in my attic recording

platinumcool

okay, in two weeks i plan on hosting an open mic/ party with some musical guests.

question 1: should i mic everything live? ex: do not direct connect the vocal mic to the daw, or dj to daw, but just mic the p.a. system?

or should i mic the vocal to the daw, and then mic the dj and keyboard to the daw. (i was thinking not because of bleeding on the vocals) considering i will still need to use the p.a. system

what is your suggestions? im a first time "live" recordist.
i have a feeling im gonna mic the p.a. but where should i place the mics?

i wanted to record the session using my daw (dps16) i was wondering about any suggestions for "live" mic setup.

there will be lyrics, i have a sure p58 performance type mic for that. i have access to similar performance mics, and drum mics.

there will be a dj on the p.a. system and a keyboard,
all hiphop type stuff, i wanted to record the live performances more for practice, not really worried about mixing and mastering, but a nice recording.

my daw has 8 ins, 16 track mixer i have 8 p58 type mics. the p.a. will be 2 300 watt 12" speaker cabinets. they bump (i forget name of amp/ etc.)

the acoustics of the room: its an attic, all bare wood floors and angular celing, but very spacious no nooks or crannies, big. rectangular, i was thinking of placing the p.a. to the left and right on the width of the room, on one end, leaving room for guests etc. on the length of the room, elevated speakers about 3 feet. i can rig mics anywhere with duct tape or whatever.

please help me out

Back