Mic Revelations and Questions

sprayfe

Well, just got done doing a little tracking with my fiance. We are remaking an old hymn for a demo we are doing. She is an absolute powerhouse! I have never had a more frustrating time trying to get good levels on someone. She peaks all the time, and then I have to turn the pre's down so much that her voice just doesn't cut through the mix in the softer parts, and she's really not an untrained singer, i think it's got something to do with actual way she projects. I don't know...absolutely frustrating.
Here's what I'm trying right now.
Borrowed from my future father-in-law
AKG Solid Tube
SE 2200
CAD Equitek 200

Used of Mine
AT 3035
GT 33
SM-57

Of all of these the GT 33 rocked. I could not get a decent signal out of the AKG and when that thing clips it sounds horrid. Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant, any advice would be greatly appreciated,
btw, also tried front end compression,
Thanks for helping a semi-newbie,
Rafe

have you worked with her as far as mic technique? as in controlling volume by way of proximity to the mic? this at least can be monstorious in helping her on stage, so the sound guy doesn't have to deal with it, too... plus that extra bass from the poximity on dynamic mics can make a voice that would normaly need volume to fill up sound fat through the soft parts.

is there a 'sweet spot' where her quiet parts are loudest? is it different from where her loudest parts are loudest?

can you pad the volume at mic?

a limiter with a wall below the clip could help out. i'm still quite a newbie so think of me as a grain of salt... just tryin to think of what I would try. gotta try it all, you know?

wes

Well, if you tried front-end compression and that doesn't work, then I think you have a technique problem on your hand. You have to learn how to work a mic eventually. No better time than the present.

If the GT-33 does it for you, then roll with it. I find dynamics work best for people who like to really belt it out. I'm surprized you didn't like the 57 more. For what you describe, I think an SM-7 or an RE-20 would be the first thing I'd grab.

I've gotten great results with a Shure Beta 58. The singer in my last band had some serious pipes, and the 58 handled it well. But it does sound like technique is part of the problem, too.

Back