Mic recommendation for Scarlett 2i2 USB Recording Interface

harman90

Hi all !
I am a newbie in this field. I am buying first ever gear for recording ! :thumbs up:

I have though of buying Scarlett 2i2 USB Recording Interface which I think fits best in my budget and goes well with WIndow .
Now I am looking for best mic within 100$ to go with my interface. My purpose to record voiceover for Indian languages.

Also please mention other stuff I would be needing other than popup filter and 1 xlr cable.
If you think I there is better interface within this range , please let me know that as well. As a newbie! all expert advises are welcome.

Thanks

What you ask sounds like a simple question. Problem is, it is one of the most complex, individual ear/preference questions out there. Let me ask a few questions back to you:
Do you mean new or used mic? Is this for professional use, or for your own amusement and amazement? What are you recording TO? (i.e. CD/DVD/MP3)

If you are looking for the $100 mic, you are probably looking at MXL, and there are a few to consider. Remember that you'll need to budget for a good screen (usually around $15-25) to keep your gleeks out of the mic (large diaphragm condensers and ribbons are VERY susceptible to moisture problems). You can also find great used mics (saw a Blue at GuitarCenter for $89 the other day, sorry, it's mine). :D

But many people will agree/disagree with whatever mic you end up with. Best option is to go to your local music store and try a few in a sound room with headphones (Some stores won't let you do that, especially if you're at that price point) and get one that YOU like.

Others will question your choice of interface. If you are buying the Scarlett for price point (I mean you can usually pick one up for $80 used), then it's probably a good option. But consider some of the pioneers in your search like MOTU or M-Audio as well. Look for USB interface reviews online and see what professionals have said about signal to noise ratios, etc.

But my best advice (once again) is look for used. Others will not agree, but you said this is your first ever gear purchases. Get your stuff as reasonably as possible. I have found the object of my desire on many occasions and then gone looking through pawns until I find THAT item. I already have the knowledge of price from Music123, GuitarCenter, Zzounds, or whatever, and know when I see a good deal! But make sure you can return it (and for how long) and be sure when you buy it you will have the time to put it through the paces. I have gotten home from a pawn that was over 200 miles away only to have the device be no-op because I didn't try before I bought...:facepalm:

The only other thing you should need is the right software, and a few plugins. There again, everyone has their own faves. Mine is Record/Reason from Propellerhead, but there are many out there from Ableton, Cakewalk, Steinberger, etc. Again, find reviews, look at videos on YouTube, get info from people on this and other websites.. In short, do your homework first and you won't be unhappy second.

Always back up everything you do. I use an automated backup to an external drive that works in the background, called Memeo AutoSync. The trial version came with my Seagate external.
And there are a raft of other considerations, but you should easily be able to start up a vocal only, one track studio for around $350-500. There are other threads on this site about doing just that!

Good luck on your project :thumbs up:

Thank you mate for your reply !!

The thing is I am from India !! So I cant risk buying used stuff as this is my first time !! nor here we have studios where we can test these microphones out ! nor I can test the gear before purchasing or after purchasing! I wont be having option to send it back.

MY purpose is voice over (not singing) . I looked into other threads ! they all have lot to say about Shure 58! but on the other hand there are bunch of thread clamming that is difficult to get real one these days !! There are lot of shure fake products out there! Its difficult to judge one.

SO I am confused !

ABout interface ! yes I did lot of research ! its the also the reason why I am here ! to get some expert's view who have used all these gears !
M-audio interface have some crackling problem !! So I am going for Scarlett for which i have read lot of great reviews on this website.

Now with that situation ! WHat would be your suggestion? :) :)

Back