Mic reccomendations please!

jaykeMURD

I sit on you.
Howdy fellas.
I'm not very pleased with my NT1a anymore for my vocals. I want something that'll represent my voice better. I don't want to spend more that $400 right now, and I have no problem buying used. Keep in mind, this is for recording purposes ONLY.

To help out, I'm gonna describe my voice to the best of my abilities.

I tend to be somewhat airy and sibilant. A pop-filter does the trick. My singing voice lacks low-end. Sometimes I do sing lower, but it's not THAT low. I have a decent upper range, but I can't really belt it out. I'm not a really loud singer, but I'm not quiet either. Just depends on the song itself.
I tend to copy other singers, as I do cover songs, so I can sound like a few singers, but within reason. I suppose you could say my voice is somewhat brittle and transparent in the upper frequencies.

I can sound a lot like Stapp....but I'm not gonna sing originals like him! :D
I can replicate Ben Burnley (Breaking Benjamin) fairly well too, just don't natually sing like him.

If I had to compare my natural singing to known artists...

I sound like
Kevin Palmer (TrustCompany) except with more low end and not quite as airy.
Myles Kennedy (AlterBridge) without the power
Matisyn (Evans Blue)
Matt Theissen (Relient K) with a little more bass

I hope that paints a better picture. I'm up for any suggestions.

I'm not really sure what type or kind of mics to be looking at now. I know the cheap Chinese LDCs with hyped highs make me sound like crud. Maybe something with more warmth and depth?

I'll definatley look in an SM7. I'd never really even considered a dynamic for vocal recording until now. Thanks a bunch fellas!

Test drive the SE2200A.
I've seen them on ebay for under $200.
It will definitely tame your hi-end as it has a gentle rise into the hi end as opposed to the big bump found on many mics. It has Very warm and smooth sonic characteristics.

Big Kenny said:
I don't know what "It will definitely tame your hi-end as it has a gentle rise into the hi end as opposed to the big bump found on many mics" means...
It could mean a number of things especially if your end is up high and needs to be tamed with a gentle rise instead of a big bump. :eek:
Otherwise it could mean that the frequency response of the SE2200A is rather flat until it hits 1K then gently rises until about 5K where it drops (scoops) a few dB in the 6.5-7K realm then begins a gentle rise again until about 12K and begins to drop off.
If you compare the SE2200A hi-end frequency response (10K and above) to the RODE NT1A frequency response you can clearly see where the NT1A has a very noticeable "Bump" or increase in dB's at about 12K over and above the slight dB rise of the SE2200A at 12K which implies that the NT1A is a much brighter sounding mic and possibly even being overly sibilant for some uses.
ie Many chinese made mics are trying to emulate the U87 et al "air" but the less than quality parts, the less than quality assembly and less than quality testing provides unacceptable sibilance as well as a dirty gritty less than pristine sound.
Your choice. ;)

homestudioguy said:
It could mean a number of things especially if your end is up high and needs to be tamed with a gentle rise instead of a big bump. :eek:
Otherwise it could mean that the frequency response of the SE2200A is rather flat until it hits 1K then gently rises until about 5K where it drops (scoops) a few dB in the 6.5-7K realm then begins a gentle rise again until about 12K and begins to drop off.
If you compare the SE2200A hi-end frequency response (10K and above) to the RODE NT1A frequency response you can clearly see where the NT1A has a very noticeable "Bump" or increase in dB's at about 12K over and above the slight dB rise of the SE2200A at 12K which implies that the NT1A is a much brighter sounding mic and possibly even being overly sibilant for some uses.
ie Many chinese made mics are trying to emulate the U87 et al "air" but the less than quality parts, the less than quality assembly and less than quality testing provides unacceptable sibilance as well as a dirty gritty less than pristine sound.
Your choice. ;)

I don't know what that means either, but please don't explain it, thanks.

homestudioguy said:
Your choice. ;)

Great explanation in practical terms there!!
Regards,
Superspit.

jaykeMURD said:
What about the RE20? I know in many situations the SM7 and RE20 are quite comparable.

I'm watching Ebay for the SE 2200A, but have yet to see one on there.
Thanks

The RE20 and SM7 are far better choices than the MD421, imo. But that Heil PR40 is a contender. This would be for guitar cab, but for voice I'd stick with the RE20.

I'm not a huge believer any more in budget condensors. For under $500 bucks, specifically for voice, I would go for a ribbon. The Beyer M130 runs around $450-500, but for $160 you can get an Apex 210 ribbon that performs quite well with voice, and comes with a padded aluminum carry case. The ribbons perform as well as ANY budget condensor I've ever had.

I would recomend an M-audio solaris. It is just undeer $400 when I bought mine, but would not trade it. It has a very clean sound and has alot to offer. It has a bass roll off, -10db pad, and 3 patterns to choose from. I have had no problems with it. The best thing is too, I use a mac and am much happier for it. :p

I'm going to say "ribbon" also. Shinybox with the Lundahl transformer or buy a stock Apex equivalent and mod it with a Lundahl yourself (easy mod).

Back