mic question

paganprogress

I suppose its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake. :confused: So... I want to get a better voc. mic as I am using a audio tech ST90 right now. I would like to get a shure SM57 or SM58. I am going to plug it into my Fostex MR8. (1)Will either of these mics work for this? (2)Should I get a preamp? (3)Do I need phantom power? (4) How the hell does all this fit together. As always the forum rocks! Thanks! :)

the shure sm58 and sm57 are simialar besides alittle Different frequency response and the 58 has a pop screen around it
a sm58 is an ideal vocal mic since its alomost always used for tht purpose
ull need an xlrF-xlrM to connect it to ur fostex
u do not need phantom power since these mics are dynamics
to my experience the preamps on fostex systems arent the best so a few good suggestions for a micpre are presonus tubpre 100$
m-audio dmp3 160$
ive had good results with both but there are so many more to choose from so look around
goodluck

Last edited:
paganprogress said:
I would like to get a shure SM57 or SM58. I am going to plug it into my Fostex MR8. (1)Will either of these mics work for this? (2)Should I get a preamp? (3)Do I need phantom power? (4) How the hell does all this fit together. As always the forum rocks! Thanks! :)

Get a preamp. The SM57/58's need a good bit of gain (not phantom power) and most people using them with an MR8 say the level isn't hot enough. A Studio Projects VTB1 @ $129.00 (one-channel) will really boost your SM57 without adding noise. But then, if you're going to get an external preamp (that will have phantom power) then you may wish to consider a condensor mic. For vocals, an MXL V67g; Studio Projects B1; CAD m177... The SP-B1 is real nice for recording acoustic instruments as well.

This option costs a bit more, but if you can do it, you'll be glad you did. Also, the M-Audio DMP3 preamp is two channels, so you can do two tracks at once with it...

So, the mic goes into the preamp input, and the preamp output goes into the MR8. You adjust the input gain on the preamp, then adjust the output on the preamp to raise the level on the MR8 till it's consistently near the 0db level at the top of the LCD. Leave the input gain on the MR8 all the way down.

Pardon the slightly OT, but I just made an amusing observation. It seems that in general on these types of threads, the longer the thread runs, the higher the quality of gear that is recommended and the higher the cost.

This guy started out asking if an SM57/58 would work with his fostex. Next thing you know, people are suggesting that he get a new preamp as well. THEN he needs to get a condenser instead of a dynamic. THEN he needs to get a multi-pattern condenser, not just cardiod.

I just find it a little funny...

Big Kenny said:
Ya you're right. Just get the 57, you'll like it for a week.

A Beta 57A was the first mic I ever bought, and it was the only mic I had for several months (when I decided I really wanted to get into this). I still use it on almost every single project I work on...

Mics do make a big difference, so do preamps, so I guess Kenny is right, you'll like a mediocre mic for a week and then you'll want a better one. Indeed the better ones are the more expensive ones most of the time.

I was at a Sarah Brightman concert last night, nothing but hi end gear, awesome sound quality. For the more classical songs she used a Schoeps mic instead of the handheld mic which was a Sennheiser I think (I'm not sure).

The difference was significant.

Do yourself a favor and get the best you can afford, you wont regret you did.

sile2001 said:
A Beta 57A was the first mic I ever bought, and it was the only mic I had for several months (when I decided I really wanted to get into this). I still use it on almost every single project I work on...

Nothing wrong with that, but the fellow did ask if he should get a preamp. From following the Fostex forums for almost two years, it seems that the MR8 preamp really doesn't have enough gain for the SM57. So it makes sense to fill the guy in on the preamp possibilities, plus the other options that start to open up. Perhaps, as indicated, these are out of his budget. But a mic he won't get full performance out of probably isn't in his budget either. When he asked about the need for a preamp, I assumed he might feel as though he could afford one... The Beta version of the SM57, with the higher output could be a better choice, but I haven't run across anyone using it with an MR8.

Bill Keane

I wasn't even critisizing this thread in particular. I was just commenting on the general tendency of gear recommendation threads to gradually increase in quality and price as the thread goes on. Sorry, I just have an analytical mind like that...

Back