mic problems

kevin C.

my mic is only recording on the left channel
how can i change this in cooledit?

and when i test the mic it only shows the left channel reciving sound! =[

Your mic is mono. So just record it as mono.
Evrything is working fine. Adjust your track for mono recording and choose the left one.

Sikter is right. I'll expand on that a little more for clarity.

If you set the track input source to be Stereo 1-2 (for example) then the track expects to receive two inputs, (one from channel 1 and one from channel 2.) The software then records the two channels side-by-side on the same track and outputs them to separate main channels as well, (L and R.)

If you set the track input source to Mono 1 the track expects a single input (from input 1,) and during playback sends the same identical signal out through both L and R main channels.

In stereo mode, having only one mic plugged in fulfills the left side but not the right.

Hope this helps,
RD

lol yall make it sound so easy

but im not to sure how u change the settings to that in cooledit

Depending on which version you have, there is usually a way to select the input source for each track. Or in other words, which physical jack to expect signal from. In the multitrack view, (where you can see the tracks for recording,) you should find choices (right in the track controls) for which input and which output the track should use. Some of the listed input choices are mono and some are stereo based on how many jacks are available.

I cannot recall how the older versions were laid out but, if you are able to find that, it will all start to make sense then.

is there anyway i can get that as a default insted of having to do it on every single layer?

Well again, I am not that familiar with CoolEdit because I use the more modern Adobe Audition. Perhaps some of the other guys who use CE can help more.

On mine, you can save the workspace or as they call it, "Save Session as Default." That means that you can start up a fresh "empty" session, change everything to the way you like it, and then after saving as default, it will remember those settings for all new sessions in the future.

I think you will find this option under the FILE menu, at upper left. Or if there is a SESSION menu, check there.

Back