• What are you thinking!! None of these

Votes: 22 34.9%

• Total voters

A Fak

I have narrowed it down to three pre's:

Avalon vt737sp $1800

Focusrite Red 8 $1700

Great River ME-NV1 $1000

I was thinking of buying the avalon but a couple of people told me not too. (I do mostly rap, and a little RnB) I Want thick warm clear vocals

the avalon is good but not as good as i thought it was gonna be.. i'd rather buy a higher quality pre with a opto compressor..
i went ahead with the focusrite.. but if you budget can handle it.. check out these 3

Aphex model 1100
groove tubes vipre
langevin dual vocal combo

i may end up going with the aphex b/c it works very well with the Blue kiwi..

what mics do you plan on using?

A Fak, you've got 3 very different boxes there.

737 - channel strip w/ pre, eq, comp
Red 8 - clean dual pre
NV - single pre w/ heavy transformers

That's too apples and oranges to make any recommendations.

How did you come up with those three in particular?

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

I am using a Nuemann TLM103. I don't really care about the eq,s ad compressors(i already have pretty good ones) I just want a good warm pre

A Fak said:
I am using a Nuemann TLM103. I don't really care about the eq,s ad compressors(i already have pretty good ones) I just want a good warm pre

The Great River would give you that.

I like the Great River also, to me it sounds like what you are after..For a couple of bucks more you could go for a GT Vipre{I love it for vocals/mic versitility YMMV} www.atlasproaudio.com ..I gotta hear this A Designs stuff..Good luck

Don

Dot said:
I Want thick warm clear vocals

Get an A Designs Audio MP-1. All-tube, hand-built in the USA. They're new and run about $899. I reviewed the MP-1 here. Read other reviews on the MP-1 and MP-2, including the one by e-cue who works with a lot of rap, hip-hop and r&B - he just worked with The Black Eyed Peas.

These are great mic pres for your applications. The MP mic pres are starting to show up on a lot of major sessions.

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

Dan, how about the Sebatron for male/female hip-hop and r&b?

Dot said:
I Want thick warm clear vocals

Get an A Designs Audio MP-1. All-tube, hand-built in the USA. They're new and run about $899. I

Where could I get the MP-1 for that great of a price? Everything I have found is over $1k.

Mic pres

Hi all

What, no vintage guys out there?

I'll take my Telefunken V76's anyday!! Gotta love THOSE tubes...

Normally I am not an Avalon fan, but for the style of vocals you are looking for, the Avalon does a very good job with. The other thing is that the Avalon seems to play really well with the Neumann TLM 103. I am not sure why, but what when you put the two together it always seems to make both the mic and the preamp sound better than it really is:) My next choice would be the Great River for what you have listed. I have never been a fan of the Focusrite Red Series stuff. For just about any signal I think the Blue (ISA) line sounds much better. Other pre's to consider would be the DaKing (Tridentish sound) and the Chandlers (EMI or Neve sound depending on which model). The Chandler has a nice smooth bottom end with some fairly aggressive harmonic overtones (but not harsh). I have never really been a fan of the A Designs stuff, at least based on the few times I have used it.

How about a Peavey VMP2. Fat, warm, very nice on vocals. Two channels and you can find them on ebay, usually for under $800.

This is an old thread. Today I would recommend the Portico 5012 from www.Rupertneve.com over the Great River.

Two channels of very close to Neve 1073 sounds for only $1440. Probably one of the best values in preamps out there.

darrin_h2000 said:
With your choice in musical styles, Id use a makie mixer or something, good pres are for singers. not voice overs.

anybody else here who thinks so ?

I don´t understand this opinion. Is it right ?

Back