Mic Pres and FX

I used to own the Ultragain 2200. Sometimes it was fine, but other times it introduced a wierd harmonic sound, and also at times it would badly hum.

I was tempted to get a Behringer 1953 preamp, but now I use a pair of Studio Projects VTB1's that I'm very happy with. They're extremely quiet, offer the option of dialing in a tube circuit, and I find them very neutral.

I still have not invested in pres yet. I am also considering instead of pres using an outboard mixer with phantom power. I've read pros and cons on Behringer mixers in other threads on this forum. What opinions are out there on Alesis equipment?

12stringer,
I use a Behringer UB802 mixer for phantom power and preamps. I've heard pros and cons about the Ultragain and the other one you listed.
On the fasoft forum a guy did an experiment to rate low budget preamps. He tested many preamps and inexpensive mixers with different mics to see what sounded the best. He rated the preamps in the UB series mixers very high. I bought one and have been very happy with it.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions and warnings. I'm still weighing the options.
What suggestions/recommendations/warnings does anyone have about outboard FX? Currently the only outboard FX I am using is a relatively ancient DOD AcousticOne multiFX unit, which works great for my guitar and has relatively low noise. But what if I want to play with the vocals such as flange or phase shiftor put a tremelo effect on them (think "Crimson & Clover") without having to wait until mixdown or jump through the hoops of looping the FX?

Back