Mic preamps in Budget USB interfacees....Dumb Question !!

hugocat

Hi there -

I'm currently trying to pick a budget USB interface up to $200.

I'll be using a separate mic preamp, so want to use something with a line level input.....the problem is, all the interfaces I'm considering (Line 6 etc) proudly advertise the mic preamps, but don't specify that they have LINE inputs.....

So my (dumb) question is: on these interfaces, can I bypass the internal mic preamps?

Thanks!!:D
J

the prsonus firebox has lines and if you do alittle research you will find more like it some motu intrfaces have lines or i mean all of them. I bet you that most interfaces on the market have lines.

You most likely can't bypass the preamp, but as Chickenmaster said a lot of preamps will have a line level input. You have to dig through the specs. Can you list what you have looked at/are interested in?

(PS: Not often do you get to say you quoted Chickenmaster!)

Thanks for the info guys: the leading contenders right now are:

Line 6 POD Studio UX2
Presonus Audiobox USB
Lexicon Omega

The Omega does specify that it has line inputs: the only reason I'm cautious about it is that some peoiple say they have quality/reliability problems....

Of course, if anyone can add to the list.....

Thanks!
J:D

M-Audio Fast Track Pro has two inputs, each with a instrument/line switch, plus a pad switch. May want to put it on your list.

One thing to keep in mind these days is the "perks" as far as software etc that each company includes. If you need a DAW or like the POD stuff, guitar amps/effects, pick an interface that meets your needs but includes the other stuff you want.

I am a Sonar user so have a bias to the Roland interfaces that Cakewalk has out. They include Sonar LE for example. Presonus has Studio 1 which looks great and several will offer Cubase lite for example.

The UA25-EX accepts line levels up to +12dbu

http://www.cakewalk.com/products/hardware/default.aspx?Prod=UA-25EX

I like the Lexicon products and the Omega looks good. I also like the Ionix U22.

Thanks, that's a good point: The Ionix is a bit out of my price range right now, but I did consider it.

I'm really thinking the Lexicon may win out here: it comes with Cubase LE which people generally seem to like. The POD will do 24/96 as opposed the the Omega's 24/48, but in the real world of my recording I can't see that being an issue.

I may go and research Studio 1 for a bit though.......:)

I tried the demo of Studio 1 and if I wasn't so many $$ into Sonar, I'd switch in a heartbeat. I haven't used Presonus stuff, but all the reviews and forum stuff is really positive.

What preamp are you using?
If it's cheap, it's not gonna sound any better than the ones in the interfaces.
If it's really nice, you're not gonna get the full benefit of using a high end preamp, because the subtleties you pay that extra couple grand for are gonna be mangled by the (relatively) low end A/D converters.
How many preamps are you using / how many channels are you planning on recording at a time?
Cause the lexicon alpha comes with cubase LE as well, and it has a line level input on it too.

That's interesting: I'd never considered the Alpha.....

I'm planning on either a Studio Projects VTB1 preamp, or a Presonus Tube Pre.
I'm hoping that either of those will sound comfortably better than the integrated preamps in the interfaces.

I wonder whether the A/D conversion in the Alpha will sound significantly poorer than the Omega?

I'm only going to be recording a single channel: it's purely for voiceovers.

Thanks!
J

From experience I can tell you that:
1) Neither of those will sound noticeably better than the included preamps in the interface. You're talking several hundred dollars per channel before you actually hear any difference.
and
2) The converters in the alpha sound just as good as the ones in the omega. All you're paying more for is the extra channels of preamps and converters. The alpha has one pre and one line in, the lambda has two pres and two lines in, and the omega has four pres and two lines in (if I'm remembering correctly).

Wow, thanks Cancers......if that's the case then I certainly will go for the Apha and save some $$ to spend elsewhere.....Thanks!!:D

Back