Mic preamp!?

It's impossible to answer definitively without knowing every detail of your existing set up.

However, my answer would be probably not.

The pre amps in the Saffire are fine and the improvement from even an expensive separate pre is likely to be subtle.

Unless you have a great mic and great acoustics in your room chances are your money would be better spent on, er, great mics and great acoustics.

It's impossible to answer definitively without knowing every detail of your existing set up.

However, my answer would be probably not.

The pre amps in the Saffire are fine and the improvement from even an expensive separate pre is likely to be subtle.

Unless you have a great mic and great acoustics in your room chances are your money would be better spent on, er, great mics and great acoustics.

Jeez, you're a night owl!

I'm up testing for work... what's your excuse?:D

Er....my excuse is that....I'm a night owl.

Seriously, now that I have no specific hours to keep I tend to stay up late and sleep in the next morning. Twenty plus years getting up a sparrow's fart to commute into London on crowded trains has probably caused a late-in-life rebellion!

Hi guys,

The quality of Pre-amps is perception based to some extend. However, the fact is that the Pre-amps found in the Saffire interfaces are extremely clean and colourless. They've also won quite a few awards (sorry, I promise this isn't a sales pitch). You could use another pre-amp with the Saffire if you wanted but this, depending on the pre might add colour to your sound. Its completely dependant on the sound YOU are after. Maybe you could find a store and compare our Pre's to some others and see what you like?

Cheers,
Miles

It's always good to see a representative of a manufacturer here to answer questions...hello Miles!

Just to back up what he said, the pre amps on Focusrite products tend to be clean and neutral with plenty of headroom. I wouldn't move to an external pre amp to make things "more clean" or "more neutral". Indeed, the only reason I might add a pre amp to the chain it to deliberately add colour to the mic sound to create a specific effect (or, I suppose, because I was unhappy with a mic sound--but, in this case, your money is better spent on a mic that makes you happier!

It's always good to see a representative of a manufacturer here to answer questions...hello Miles!

Just to back up what he said, the pre amps on Focusrite products tend to be clean and neutral with plenty of headroom. I wouldn't move to an external pre amp to make things "more clean" or "more neutral". Indeed, the only reason I might add a pre amp to the chain it to deliberately add colour to the mic sound to create a specific effect (or, I suppose, because I was unhappy with a mic sound--but, in this case, your money is better spent on a mic that makes you happier!

Then! There is software that claims to simulate a whole range of mic and pre amp combinations so for the cost of a pretty basic pre amp you could have an arsenal of different "colours" to chose from.....Of course to start with you really need a clean and neutral recording!

And yes! Hi Miles, with Bobbs, nice to see industry reps in forums.

Dave.

Back