Mic Preamp

Trumpspade

I'M BLESSED.......
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to run your mics thru a pre amp before running it thru the mbox? It might be a matter of opinion but woulnd't you get more punch and clarity?

Don't preamp settings give vocals a lil boost and warmth before it goes in to the box? I'm not saying that is all it does.......

depends on the pre....some are nothing more than just that....meaning the only option is turn the gain up or down...other pre's may have built in EQ's or compressers which would have more effect on the tone...

depends on the pre....some are nothing more than just that....meaning the only option is turn the gain up or down...other pre's may have built in EQ's or compressers which would have more effect on the tone...

Thanks...............

I didn't realize the preamps went to that extreme....As far as EQ and Comps.... Well back to more research~~~

Thanks again!

Yes, perhaps "punch and clarity" is over-selling it a bit!

How is Punch, in the sense of power, over-selling it?

And Clarity, in the sense of more clear, over-selling it?

I thought having a strong enough signal that you can manage, and having the cleanest input possible, is an important phase of mic input during recording!

Don't preamp settings give vocals a lil boost and warmth before it goes in to the box? I'm not saying that is all it does.......

It's not clear if you're asking about 'pre vs no pre -yes they give a necessary stage of amplification, but vs the pres you have vs some others- the differences would be small. Most (some large % number here) of things like 'punch (whatever that means today ;)), warmth' etc come from the source and how it's picked up.

It's not clear if you're asking about 'pre vs no pre -yes they give a necessary stage of amplification, but vs the pres you have vs some others- the differences would be small. Most (some large % number here) of things like 'punch (whatever that means today ;)), warmth' etc come from the source and how it's picked up.

10-4!!!!!!!!!!

(I'll try to refrain from introducing new jargon to the music world) LOL

My parents are from the sticks of Louisiana and whenever they wanted me to turn up the radio, they always said "punch it up a little"....I know different! But me being a northern boy it always stuck with me!!!!

So to me, punch (as in sound) is amplification.........

But thx for your input(s)

Back