Mic Preamp with digital out for under $1,000?

RecoDino

I'm looking for a mic preamp with digital out (SPDIF/ADAT) for under 1,000.

I'm looking at the Focusrite ISA One and the Audient Mico primarily.

Both of them seem to be well regarded although I can't find as much info on the Audient.

The Focusrite only has one channel, however the DI can be used as a second input. The Audient has two channels but only channel one has their tube-simulating tech so in a way it has pretty much the same limitations as the Focusrite. Both channels will be slightly different.

The Focusrite has more options but is also more expensive.

Does anyone have any opinions on these units or any other options in the sub-1,000 price range?

i use an ART DPS, sounds great, works great, had it for 7 years now, spdif and coax out, two channel tube preamp.....

$219.

LOL

I'm looking for a mic preamp with digital out (SPDIF/ADAT) for under 1,000.

I'm looking at the Focusrite ISA One and the Audient Mico primarily.

Both of them seem to be well regarded although I can't find as much info on the Audient.

The Focusrite only has one channel, however the DI can be used as a second input. The Audient has two channels but only channel one has their tube-simulating tech so in a way it has pretty much the same limitations as the Focusrite. Both channels will be slightly different.

The Focusrite has more options but is also more expensive.

Does anyone have any opinions on these units or any other options in the sub-1,000 price range?

I haven't heard much on the Mico either but I have never heard a bad thing only good.

Google up and take a look at the Joe Meek TwinQ!

This one is definitely still an option. I'm a little hesitant as Joe Meek stuff tends to have a certain color or flavor which sounds awesome in the right context but is not necessarily always the right thing. That aside, I'm still reading reports online that the TwinQ's digital outs are having dropout/hiss issues which makes me really apprehensive.

i use an ART DPS, sounds great, works great, had it for 7 years now, spdif and coax out, two channel tube preamp.....

$219.

LOL

I have an ART MPA Gold with upgraded tubes. It serves its purpose and is good value for the money but the converters in the lower-end ART stuff just do not sound as good as the others. This was at least to my ears listening to clips online between the ART and the Focusrite. I might just hang on to my ART for some color, but am not really interested in getting another similar unit.

but the converters in the lower-end ART stuff just do not sound as good as the others.

i agree.

but i have also found out by first hand experience, that until you get to about the $2000 range for convertors, the increase in clarity is just not that much more.

so, food for thought.

anyway, i wasn't suggesting seriously getting the ART DPS when you have that much to spend...

only that, there is a huge bang for buck there, and spending an additional 800 bucks doesn't get you that much further up the road.

I was considering both, preamps (mico and Isa1) last summer ended up with the Isa1, I love the sound of it, great for vocals guitars, well on most, I havent tried it on a drum kit yet.
But I really like it better than most other preamps I've tried in that price range, the DI channel rocks to.
And there is bundles of gain if needed.

Back