Mic Preamp (thinking out of the box)

jmxdrummer

I own a presonus fp10 audio interface and my recordings sound pretty good, compared to what I use to have (m-audio 1010, behringer and nady mic preamps). I have started to look into buying a tube preamp to my current setup. I came to the realization that I will not find anything under $400. I even considered buying a mic preamp kit, but I just don't have the time to build it. Last night I came across on ebay an Xiang Sheng 708B Stereo Tube Headphone Pre Amplifier

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xiang-Sheng-708...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
this preamp looks very promising, but I will need to alter the input and output of this device. This is what I was thinking. I could run my condenser mic into the front input of the firepod (input 1), so I can get the phantom power to enable the mic. I would then run a trs cable from the back of the firepod into this preamp and then back into the firepod.

Just wondering what you guys think. I've gotten great and honest feedback here.

thanks

total waste of time...you may as well just got a little ART Tube MP in that case

or, if you want an actual tube pre, get an MPA gold

+1, if it's $400 or less, the MPA Gold has to be considered. Otherwise save an extra $100 and get a Grace 101 (not tube, but why tube anyways?)

The Electro Harmonix 12AY7 is an a single channel "real" tube pre < $400. So is the Groove Tubes Brick.

Umm. If I might ask the obvious question. Why do you want a tube preamp? What are you hoping to get that you wouldn't get from a good/better solid state preamp?

Ive wondered that too...its like putting a cheap EQ in the signal chain...it just adds noise.

Its better to either go for the real class A stuff if you want a real tube in the chain...or go the modeler route.

from experience I find cheap but high rail voltage tube preamps (electro harmonix, art mpa gold with switch set to high plate voltage) are eq'd out of the box to have more mid push, vaguely simulating a bit of the api type forward tone which I personally love on vocals etc.

the EH box actually slightly lowered high freq output too imho, good for cheap condensors, not good for things that you want bright, but it's subtle of course.

also the EH box basically requires good balanced cables in a fully balanced chain or you get hum. quite well documented on here, but otherwise a great preamp. similar issues to art, cheap pots etc. the art blows it away imho though being more versatile and more hifi in the high end while still having a bit of mid push that is very musical, and also a DI that is outstanding for bass etc.

don't bother with your obscure out of hte box idea. that's just adding eq to your exisitng preamp. not probably as good sounding as any other options listed in this thread. seriously, I've tried similar crap in the past. generally not as good as really getting good gear.

mpa golds go used for like $200 anyway, just find one used and be happy. even stock tubes rock compared to most other preamps <$600.

Iv'e heard AMAZING things about, but not personally used, the black lion audio auteur preamp by the way, more expensive but worth checking out.

the mpa gold is an overacheiver for it's price range, as is the EH box if you can set it up ok (but is a bit of a one trick pony), as it the black lion from what I've heard (but is the only one I mention that I haven't personally used).

cheers
Don

Ive wondered that too...its like putting a cheap EQ in the signal chain...it just adds noise.

Its better to either go for the real class A stuff if you want a real tube in the chain...or go the modeler route.

if you haven't honestly tried the mpa gold and worked with it seriously for quite some time you really don't know how good it is for us poor folks with home studios on a budget. I work professionally in nice studios but a lot of my session work is out of my little home studio. the mpa gold is a godsend and really mimicks the sound I've described very well.

I used to own it and an api 512 and currently am running Ward Beck 460s as well, my home studio isn't full of crap pres, but the mpa gold holds it's own and more and is every bit as good as the preamps Iv'e described other than having slightly higher noise levels at extreme gains (but then it does have 75 db gain or something crazy like that, not shabby at all), and it's tone is moddable with simple tube swaps (although again that is a generally rather subtle change). yes, the api is better, but it's also similar and it costs way more for one channel. the mpa gold is imho vastly superior to some other preamps that are more pricey, solo 610 for example which to me is quite vague sounding. and best of all, it doesn't sound like most other cheap pres (flat, dull, ok). it sounds warm and expressive and fat and is quite variable with different drive levels like many high end pres are.

it's built like crap of course..... loL

cheers
Don

thanks I will look into the MPA gold. Is that what you used on your punk mixes on your myspace page?

no...one of those tracks was recorded in a stupidly well-equipped studio, with a signal chain worth tens of thousands of dollars

the other was tracked in a barn with $500 or so worth of mics into a mackie onyx 1640

if you haven't honestly tried the mpa gold and worked with it seriously for quite some time you really don't know how good it is for us poor folks with home studios on a budget. I work professionally in nice studios but a lot of my session work is out of my little home studio. the mpa gold is a godsend and really mimicks the sound I've described very well.

I used to own it and an api 512 and currently am running Ward Beck 460s as well, my home studio isn't full of crap pres, but the mpa gold holds it's own and more and is every bit as good as the preamps Iv'e described other than having slightly higher noise levels at extreme gains (but then it does have 75 db gain or something crazy like that, not shabby at all), and it's tone is moddable with simple tube swaps (although again that is a generally rather subtle change). yes, the api is better, but it's also similar and it costs way more for one channel. the mpa gold is imho vastly superior to some other preamps that are more pricey, solo 610 for example which to me is quite vague sounding. and best of all, it doesn't sound like most other cheap pres (flat, dull, ok). it sounds warm and expressive and fat and is quite variable with different drive levels like many high end pres are.

it's built like crap of course..... loL

cheers
Don

Ive had ART stuff in the past...way too noisy to be useable...Im currently using a Line6 UX8 and as an 8 channel I bought for $350 on blowout at guitar center I can get a less noisy 8 channels of API 512...or Neve 1076...or Avalon.

It normally goes for $500...but that is a bargain seeing as how you can record the whole rythem section at once with 8 channels and they all match perfectly...its an interface too so that is a solution for alot of the homereccers.

thanks for your feedback. To be quite honest I was wondering what the F I was thinking that night. I was not thinking clearly that night. Had way too many beers and the weed didnt help either. LOL:D

Back