mic preamp suggestions under $500

steelpetals

I know this question has been relentlessly addressed but here it is:
I have a Korg d16 that I like however, I'd like to upgrade my preamp to something a bit warmer and something that perhaps has an optical out such that I could bypass the Korg preamps. I have an AT4033 and I'd like to warm up my vocals a bit yet
i feel that the korg preamp is holding me back. Any suggestions for $500 or less?
Thanks,
Blake

One obvious candidate would be the FMR RNP ($475?). Unfortunately, I don't think this unit is equipped with an opitcal out. Is there another way to bypass the built-in preamps? Does your D16 manual have a block diagram that would shed light on this type of hookup? Is there perhaps an insert of some kind? Otherwise, I think you would have to find a A/D converter combined with a preamp--all for under $500. There are such devices (Focusrite Trakmaster with optional digital card, for example) but you have to wonder whether they would be much of an improvement given the additional cost. There are inexpensive standalone converters that you could use (ART and Behringer make them) but, again, for a budget of $500 you might conclude that there was not much of a difference in quality. The other option would be to increase your budget (ouch! Sorry!) and combine the RNP with something like a Lucid 9624 ($850?). This is obviously more than you want to pay but might make sense as your recording needs grow.

your point is well noted. What about some of the preamps such as the art dps, or the dbx 386?. These each have digital outs and I believe can be used alone as a/d converters such that I could also use my joe meek unit through it. My d16 does not have an insert point but it does have an optical in. What do you think?

If you already have a Meek you might consider trading it in on one of the newer Meeks when they come available. I expect the 1Q and TwinQ to be very nice units, and the 1Q should be right in your price range.

I've never used the ART Dbs or the Dbx preamp, so I can't be of much help. The real question is whether or not these units are the same, better, or just different compared to the preamps/converters in your Korg. Alot depends on the quality of the Korg D16. I assume, given the price, it's a decent stand-alone recorder perhaps in the same ballpark as the 16 track Yamahas. But I've never seen a compaison of these types of machines against different classes of preamps/converters. The 3d Audio site has a number of comparison CD's looking at differences in preamps and converters, but they don't include any standalone multitrack hardisk recorders. Personally, I would like to see some type of "shootout" comparing recorders by Fostex, Tascam, Zoom, Korg, Akai, Yamaha, etc., but that's another thread!

I guess the only way to tell would be an A/B comparison using your Korg and and an external preamp/converter. You could purchase one from a dealer with a fair return policy or maybe rent one if you live in a metro area with a rental shop.

I also had another thought. Have you tried using your Korg in the 24bit versus 16bit mode? From what I read, these machines can record 16 tracks at 16bit or eight at 24 bit. Although eight tracks can be limiting, you might see whether or not the 24 bit mode makes a difference. The 16/24bit issue also makes me wonder about an external converter and how it would work with your setup. If you had a 24bit external converter and you were recording 16 tracks at 16bit, how would the Korg (or the external device) handle the conversion. Would it use some type of dither or would it truncate or throw out the additional eight bits? I don't know if these are issues, but they are worth thinking about.

I have a Korg d1200 and I have never been too excited about their pres, but not too dissappointed to bypass them.

My chain is this: mic > micpre > Korgd1200(via XLR). I USB my tracks to PC and mix with Vegas. One thing I studied up on was the subject of gain-staging (search this bbs). I always track in 24 bit...always.

As far as mic pres go, I use the "budget" ones: M-Audio DMP3, FMR-RNP, Studio Project VTB-1 and the ART units.

BTW, I record mostly acoustic guitar and vocals, and the 4033 is one of the mics I reach for most often. I pair this with either the VTB-1 or the RNP or DMP3, depending on the situation.

I hope this helps!

Brian

please dont spend $499.00 on the dbx 386 or the 376 for that matter. if someone is seeling a 386 on ebay for $200.00-$250.00 then maybe get it. when I got my RNp the 386 went packing, and I'm going to sell the 376 as soon as I get two more RNP's or a Sytek.

except for their digital option, the $499.00 386 sounded no better than the $99.00 dbx mini-pre. pre to pre.

I would not hesitate to refer an RNP, but if you really need a digital interface/pre combo I would look ito this piece..it does seem to have some nice features usable or not I'm not sure, but I do like the sound of the Focusrite platnum series (even without tubes) over the dbx tube junk......I've seen it cheaper than this price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...66906506/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/188218/

sorry Blake, I just noticed that the "optional" digital card was another $229.00 so that puts it out of your price range...

I could've sworn I'd seen it somewhere with the digital option included at around $550.00?...oh well.

good luck bro

I suppose at this point I'm dabbling between a joe meek vcq1 and a focusrite penta. The advantage to the focusrite is the digital expandibility but I've heard such excellent reviews of the joe meek. ANy thoughts?

have a heart there man!!!! I'm still a resident. Gimme another 2 yrs and we'll talk. Until then, m-audio tampa or penta???? the m-audio does come with the digital outs which is nice!!

i would suggest not looking for a quick fix on the warmth issue. good sonics come from everything. the room is a factor. the performer/voice/mic/instrument/amp is a factor. the cable is a factor. the mic pre is a factor. the a/d converter is a factor. the summing in the box is a factor. the d/a converter is a factor. the monitors are a factor.

you might look at getting a lucid da9624. it'd let you hear what you've really been doing. the kurzweil rumour/mangler might be a good place to start with a d/a upgrade as well.

but, in the $500 range, i'd probably go with the fmr rnp first if i was wanting to start with upgrading my preamp rather than starting with my converters.

i agree with ozraves. are you aussie ?
focus on the source sound signal.
the way to REALLY NAIL THIS ISSUE.
rent a high end preamp/mic combo for a day or two,
then rent a cheap preamp/mic combo and see if it makes much difference. if it were me i might be tempted to try a vtb1,
but if that dont work and youve tried various options.
focus on improving the room and/or the quality of instruments used to lay down tracks.

Well, to be honest, I have done a bit of reading on this forum over the past year and really made an attempt to follow some of the advice mentioned. I dry-walled my basement, put up owens corning 703 on the walls and carpeted the floor. The acoustics have improved drastically. My korg d16 is a nice unit, one that has worked well over the past couple years. The preamps are average, so I bought a joe meek vc6, some improvement noted as well. However, the d16 lacks insert point and as asuch must be run throught the preamp section which does add some coloration given the specs on the preamp even with the trim set to "0". People seems to give a fair amount of praise to the penta unit, and although it does not come typically withthe a/d converter, it can be added. I'm not sure what people's response is to the a/d converter with that unit. The m-audio tampa does include the converter and people seem reasonably happy with the results. I record straight up rock n roll for whatever that's worth. I'm looking for something that's decent all around, preferably a channel strip because I don't like the compressors with the korg unit. I'm also considering letting the joe meek vc6 go as I dont believe it will add much to my arsenal once I have the new preamp upgrade, besides I have the vc6 not the vc1q.

on that note, I also upgrade my at3525 to the at4040 which both here and recording magazine have given favorable reviews. so...i'm at a point where i think a new preamp is the next step. a good a/d converter would help, but i gotta have the preamp to begin with and like everyone, i'm limited on funds to about $400

This thread would be good reading for everyone who is looking for a mid-level stand-alone hard disk recorder. These all-in-one devices are great for the price, but they seem to create obstacles for anyone trying to upgrade. Adding an outboard preamp should be easy! You shouldn't have to run a preamp into a preamp and worry about the sonic costs. And you shouldn't have to buy an A/D converter to add a preamp. I'm somewhat lucky in this regard because my old Fostex VF16 has an insert where a preamp can be used to bypass the built-in preamps. Now, if only Fostex had allowed for 24 bit recording rather than 16 bit, I'de be happy!

rock and roll baby - yeah !

you said rock and roll.
heres what i use an amd computer plus 2 fast hard drives plus magix audio studio and powertracks. i get over 40 tracks easy. all the rock tracks i ever want. i reckon i could put a delta 44 into my pc plus use one of the new generation cheap yamaha mixers
and get good tracks. good rock tracks are more than equipment. its how you do engineering thats important. source sound on rock is important.
its not perfect but take a listen to THE WRECKER that went #1 in guitar rock in the past at soundclick.com/bmanning done with pretty cheap equipment. then listen to take my love done in a multimillion dollar studio. not much difference is there in sound quality ? its all in the source tracks. gear is but one small factor.

Back