mic preamp question

discordJF

I currently own a Roland VS-1680 and I was thinking about buying a mic preamp, probably the ART MP. The only problem is, I can only afford one of them. Would I be able to buy just one mic preamp and then after I record my drum tracks, run the tracks through the ART MP and get the same effect as running each mic through a separte mic preamp while recording?

He's right, I got some killer snare and bass drum sounds recently with the preamp on my Akai amplified mixer! (AMX10), the snare particularly sounds so good, it isn,t even compressed and was recorded through a AT MB1000H!!! The cheapest mic AT produce. On the other hand I feel overheads needs good preamp, I get a lot of harshness (caused by ultra-high frequency distorting from what I found out), of course I'm not using condenser mics yet, but as far as I know, ain't condenser mic even more exigent?

Heh. Why don't you just record everything and then run the final mixdown through a tube preamp! That way everything will sound like it was recorded with nice preamps!

Or...not. It doesn't quite work that way :)

You'll either need a bunch of preamps or a mixer with good preamps.

With drums I really wonder how much using a "not-so-great" preamp would affect the sound?

Slackmaster 2000

Back