mic preamp or compressor?

kormaniac

I'm looking to add some outboard hardware to my home recording studio. Currently I use an Alesis studio 12R mixer in concert with the gadget labs wave8/24 soundcard. I do all my mixing and post-processing using Vegas Audio. Does anyone know if the benefits of an outboard compressor (like the RNC) would be more beneficial than the normal sonic foundry plug in compressors? Is it a better practice to compress before going to 'tape' or hard drive in this case.
Also, I've heard that a nice mic-preamp would be better to use and simply bypass the studio 12R mixer for some tracks. The music I record is predominantly heavier rock music....so, would the RNC and perhaps the RNP be solid additions to the recorded sound in my home studio? Thanks!

Yes, a RNC/RNP would work wonders for your setup, especially the RNP. Having a solid front-end is VERY important....

Amund

thanks

thanks! Any input as to which would be better to purchase first? I would guess that the RNP should be the first thing to buy since I have at least some ability for compression in the post recording stage...does that sound right?

Yeah , RNP first.
It`s better to capture the sounds as good as possible going in...
Then just use some good plugins to compress..

Amund

It sounds like you might be a little confused about the utilities of hardware and software compressors. The nice thing about a hardware compressor on the front end is that you can get a little hotter signal without clipping. Many people use a little hardware compression on the front end for vocals, then once the signal is in the DAW, they compress a little further with plug-ins.

I would also agree with Plexi that you should get the Pre first.

thanks darwin

One other question with the pre-amp.....i assume you still use it for mics like an sm57 that don't need phantom power to drive them right?

ok this looks like what I am in the market for, a good all around compressor for all kinds of music and instruments. So how much are these RNC and RNP compressors. I noticed the pentra was optical. I also read this review about this new Alesis optical compressor maybe in electronic musican or keyboard that a professor at X'pressions center for new media reviewed. Just trying to make the right decision on my first compressor so I will not have to buy another one.

flux,

the RNP is a preamp.

Good optical compressors can be very musical sounding, but might not have the speed or precision control of some other types. But in budget-priced compressors, the usefulness will probably be determined by factors other than whether it is optical or not.

As always, the only really good way to judge is to try for yourself. That being said, the RNC is generally considered to be in a class by itself at that price point.

Originally posted by stonepiano
What about a Focusrite Penta?

http://www.focusrite.com/products/p...nta/index.html#

It's a solid mic preamp with built in compression.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, it`s a fine package, but it`s a step down from the RNP/RNC combo.....

Your serious? I think my buddy has the RNC... he likes it. How good is the RNP? What is it equivalant to sonically. I can't believe this two items can hold this much ground over other pieces.

plexi said:
Yeah, it`s a fine package, but it`s a step down from the RNP/RNC combo.....

that's debatable.....not saying that Focusrite is the top shelf, and that FMR hasn't got great value products, but Focusrite has a few quality "toys" released over the years ;)

What's an "optical" compressor??

I've seen this term pop up on a few product sites from time to time but I have no idea what it means?

Anyone care to educate me, or point me to a link that has info on them? Just curious!

Cheers

David

prices

I just bought and RNP and it was around 475. Thats the pre-amp (2 channels).
The RNC (compressor) is around 180 bucks. I'll let you all know of the improvements I hear with the RNP.

Back