mic preamp on FD8

chilled

I have not had great results with the built in preamp on the FD8. I was wondering if anyone good give some feedback on their experience with the FD8's preamp, and if anyone out there could recommend a good preamp. I understand the one that comes with most mackie mixers is decent. Any other preferences?

I'm not particularly fond of Fostex mixers.
For some reason they seem(in my opinino)
to be cheaply made.Which is why most equipment stores I visit usually sell them on the cheap. I like Mackie's pre-amps which
are far superior to any Fostex. You can actually hear the difference as I constantly audition products.(Sam Ash in NY dread when I
come in thier store cause prior to purchasing anything,I ask sooo many damn questions!) :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I used to use the fostex preamps and i thought they worked just fine. but if you really wanna get a good sound you should get a mackie. thats what i use now and i wouldn't be caught without it. also the fostex only has a couple of preamps and if you really wanna do some serious recording you'd need a mackie or something.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at an ART Tube MP. The single channel versions are real cheap ($100). Also great direct box for bass, acoustic guitar.

In this discussion here, you guys are just talking about hooking up a mackie mixer into the FD-8, right? So you don't have to use the crappy preamps on the FD-8's two XLR inputs?

If so, how is that process done (Mackie into FD-8)?

Back